• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Constant teeth on edge feeling and pain still after extraction?

G

Gilla999

Hi all - wondering if anyone can help

On Friday night I suddenly started getting extreme toothache at the top right second back from left molar (I have no wisdom teeth). I'd had my regular 6 month check up 3 weeks ago and everything had been fine but this pain was unbearable and by Saturday I knew I had to see an emergency dentist.

I saw a private emergency dentist who said it was infected and possibly had the root fractured and would need to be extracted. It took her about 2 hours to get it out - it was fairly traumatic - and the anesthetic wore off by the time I was leaving the surgery and the pain was like nothing I've ever experienced before, I was literally out of my mind with the pain. She gave me metronidazole and amoxicilin which I've been taking since. The day after the extraction the pain was bearable, but I feel that now - four days later - it's still at the same pain level, and I'm having to take a lot of painkillers every day. A new sensation is that my front lower and upper teeth have a permanent feeling of being "set on edge"... a weird achy sensation. The skin around the extraction is also incredibly sore (the soreness seems to extend quite far away from the root) - so sore that even if I drink cold water it stings.

Is all of this normal, has anyone had an extraction before and experienced any of this? Is it just a reaction to the work that was done and/or nerve damage from the eight injections she gave me?

Thanks very much!

With a traumatic extraction like that one, you can have quite a bit of pain that lasts for a while. At 4 days past the extraction I'm not too surprised that you're still having pain. The pain can radiate and make other areas hurt too. Give it a couple more days to heal and it should start feeling better shortly.

Back