Constantly rubbing tongue against teeth, please help

W

Wolfie

Can someone please help? I am looking for opinions. I had clear aligners to straigten my crowded teeth but lasted only 6 weeks. I developed anxiety, stopped eating and sleeping, had to quit. The same week my lower front tooth chipped and I had it polished but it changed shape. Since then I cant stop rubbing tongue against lower front (crowded) teeth. I do it all day. When I am nervous it is worse. What can I do to stop? Its been more than a month now. Is this habit? Or OCD? I am taking antidepressant Trazodone and Atarax for anxiety. No help with tongue and teeth though. It gives me anxiety and makes me suicidal to do this all day long :(

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is this habit? Or OCD? I am taking antidepressant Trazodone and Atarax for anxiety. No help with tongue and teeth though. It gives me anxiety and makes me suicidal to do this all day long :(
Hi Wolfie, sorry to read about how much troubles this is giving you and that it makes you feel suicidal. Diagnosing any mental health issues is not a easy straight forward thing to do - you are an ever changing complex human being with a past and present, your past mental health issues, medication etc. There will be something that started this off and something that makes it worse or better etc.
You mentioned medication, so I am wondering who prescribed it to you and whether you have been doing any therapy adittionally, now or in the past? A therapist may be able to help you look at things and figure out what is going on. The person who prescribed the medication to you may be able to take a look whether anything needs to get adjusted. Also our article here can give you some ideas about where to seek help.
I‘m worried as you mentioned feeling suicidal. You may have heard about the Samaritans - you can call them for free 24/7 (116 123) to have chat with someone kind who is there to listen.

W

Wolfie

Hi Wolfie, sorry to read about how much troubles this is giving you and that it makes you feel suicidal. Diagnosing any mental health issues is not a easy straight forward thing to do - you are an ever changing complex human being with a past and present, your past mental health issues, medication etc. There will be something that started this off and something that makes it worse or better etc.
You mentioned medication, so I am wondering who prescribed it to you and whether you have been doing any therapy adittionally, now or in the past? A therapist may be able to help you look at things and figure out what is going on. The person who prescribed the medication to you may be able to take a look whether anything needs to get adjusted. Also our article here can give you some ideas about where to seek help.
I‘m worried as you mentioned feeling suicidal. You may have heard about the Samaritans - you can call them for free 24/7 (116 123) to have chat with someone kind who is there to listen.
Thank you for your care about me, I am still alive but very miserable. I take trazodone and Atarax for almost 2 months and it doesnt help, I have to call my Dr. tomorrow again :( I am starting EMDR therapy soon but I feel very bad :(

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for your care about me, I am still alive but very miserable. I take trazodone and Atarax for almost 2 months and it doesnt help, I have to call my Dr. tomorrow again :( I am starting EMDR therapy soon but I feel very bad :(
EMDR sounds great, Wolfie, and talking to your doctor again as well. You know, sometimes it takes few attempts to figure out what works and that can be tiring. It sounds like you are doing what you can. I know this is super hard, but hang in there. Hope things get better for you soon :grouphug: