• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Constantly rubbing tongue against teeth

P

Prosopon

I have a gap in my teeth where two teeth have rotated inwards slightly and my tongue has become obsessed with it! Honestly, it's like it has a mind of its own! I am constantly pushing my tongue against the gap and running it along the crooked surface created by the rotated teeth, but it isn't a conscious thing. I have to make a conscious effort to stop it but I usually just end up doing it again once my mind is on other things. My tongue is pretty sore now, which I can cope with, but I just find the habit totally exhausting, mentally and physically, and I'm at the point of not being able to cope with that anymore. Any ideas why I am doing this and how I can stop? I feel like I need help with it but I'm not sure whether to consult a dentist, doctor or psychologist!

LOOK UP TONGUE THRUSTING: Tongue (abnormal swallow) thrusting is the abnormal habit of placing the tongue between the teeth before and during the act of swallowing. During a normal swallow, the mid-tongue should be placed on the roof of the mouth, not between the teeth. Placing the tongue between the teeth pushes the teeth apart and out.
Tongue (abnormal swallow) thrust and abnormal facial muscle habits are all part of a complex myo-functional environment which produce many of the problems associated with orthodontics and braces.

Swallowing occurs 24 hours per day and about 2000 times per day. During each swallow, the tongue can exert momentary pressures of 1 to 6 pounds on the surrounding structures of the mouth. This pressure will push the teeth and bone forward or apart. An abnormal swallow will move teeth into abnormal positions and cause growth distortions of the face and teeth.

Thanks for the response. I don't think it's tongue thrusting though. My tongue seems to be in the correct position when I'm swallowing. Plus, I am rubbing my tongue against my teeth even when not swallowing.

Any other thoughts on this?

Yep guilty :ROFLMAO: I do this too with different teeth at different times, we tend to do this when there is a change in the mouth. It drives me crazy, even if I get a sore place in my mouth my tongue gets a mind all of it's own and has to mess making things feel worse. I don't know the cure but I do find that at some point it stops but then if there is another change of any kind it is back to making it's own decisions again. I am fiddling with my front bottom teeth at the moment because I have a gap there and my tongue is getting really sore, I think we just have to concentrate on getting it back under our control :giggle:

By the way I would make the dentist your first stop and have those teeth looked at and see if there is anything they can do to correct them. You are not going mad or crazy, any change in the mouth is an exploration point for the tongue until it gets used to it, it is hard not to let it become a habit though isn't it :ROFLMAO::butterfly:

Yep guilty :ROFLMAO: I do this too with different teeth at different times, we tend to do this when there is a change in the mouth. It drives me crazy, even if I get a sore place in my mouth my tongue gets a mind all of it's own and has to mess making things feel worse. I don't know the cure but I do find that at some point it stops but then if there is another change of any kind it is back to making it's own decisions again. I am fiddling with my front bottom teeth at the moment because I have a gap there and my tongue is getting really sore, I think we just have to concentrate on getting it back under our control :giggle:

By the way I would make the dentist your first stop and have those teeth looked at and see if there is anything they can do to correct them. You are not going mad or crazy, any change in the mouth is an exploration point for the tongue until it gets used to it, it is hard not to let it become a habit though isn't it :ROFLMAO::butterfly:

Thanks, Carole, this is really helpful. I was afraid it might be something like that and I'm scared the gap in my teeth is getting bigger.

I can't believe how much a small gap in my teeth is impacting on me psychologically and I wish I could afford to get it corrected. This is actually making me feel suicidal. :cry: And I get so anxious at the dentist that I can barely speak, let alone tell them how much distress this is causing me.

Thanks, Carole, this is really helpful. I was afraid it might be something like that and I'm scared the gap in my teeth is getting bigger.

I can't believe how much a small gap in my teeth is impacting on me psychologically and I wish I could afford to get it corrected. This is actually making me feel suicidal. :cry: And I get so anxious at the dentist that I can barely speak, let alone tell them how much distress this is causing me.

Hey Prosopon

Have you been able to solve this?

Hey Prosopon

Have you been able to solve this?

Hi emira, no unfortunately I haven't. Do you have a similar problem?

I think correcting the gap will help me a lot but my dentist doesn't seem to agree. And I can't even get orthodontics privately because I have unexplained teeth/gum pain. The orthodontist does not want to begin treatment until the pain has been investigated. I believe the pain is caused by the tongue habit and also plaque build-up from where I can't clean my teeth effectively due to how they are positioned.

In the meantime this problem continues to ruin my life... :cry:

I have a gap in my teeth where two teeth have rotated inwards slightly and my tongue has become obsessed with it! Honestly, it's like it has a mind of its own! I am constantly pushing my tongue against the gap and running it along the crooked surface created by the rotated teeth, but it isn't a conscious thing. I have to make a conscious effort to stop it but I usually just end up doing it again once my mind is on other things. My tongue is pretty sore now, which I can cope with, but I just find the habit totally exhausting, mentally and physically, and I'm at the point of not being able to cope with that anymore. Any ideas why I am doing this and how I can stop? I feel like I need help with it but I'm not sure whether to consult a dentist, doctor or psychologist!

I have damn problems of tongue biting i guess in the edges since the last 11 years :S + other health problems :(((. Do you have the problem with all teeths that pressure the tongue or just when is a gap?

Hi emira, no unfortunately I haven't. Do you have a similar problem?

I think correcting the gap will help me a lot but my dentist doesn't seem to agree. And I can't even get orthodontics privately because I have unexplained teeth/gum pain. The orthodontist does not want to begin treatment until the pain has been investigated. I believe the pain is caused by the tongue habit and also plaque build-up from where I can't clean my teeth effectively due to how they are positioned.

In the meantime this problem continues to ruin my life... :cry:
Sorry to hear that you still haven't been able to solve this.I have somewhat a similar issue that is how I found this thread and I registered just so I can I ask you about it because it is driving me crazy.For me this started when I recently visited dentist.I wanted her to smooth out the bottom of my front teeth where I also had one small new crack which was hardly noticeable but she said ok she can smooth that out too at the same time.She didn't explain how she is going to do it.She did it straight after she was fixing a cavity on my other tooth and then showed me.It looked nice when I first saw it but when I got home and looked in detail I was thinking why she touched my other front tooth to make it even with the little crack I had and it started to bother me.Soon after I started to rub that place with my tongue and also the back of my front teeth.I was trying to convince myself that it looked fine and stopped doing it for a month but then something triggered it again and now I'm doing it again.Somehow I cannot stop thinking about it.I wanted to contact that dentist and ask her about it but my partner said she will think i'm crazy.

Hello, I am posting because I have the same issue. I had a crown put on and the gap between it and the adjacent tooth is driving me crazy. I have tried to explain it to my dentist, but he has been unable to fix it. We have put a filling in the adjacent tooth to help the problem, then we replaced the crown. I have had him look at it for over a year and I have had no luck in stopping my tongue from exploring that area. I even went to another dentist and he said that everything looked great and could not help. I know I am not imagining this space that attracts my tongue and I cannot stop fiddling with it. I wish I never got the crown in the first place if I knew this would happen.
Any advice would be helpful.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

When we have some change in our mouths the tongue usually does tend to develop a mind all of it's own and decide that is where it is going to play. Usually once the mouth gets used to the change this stops, but if it carries on it becomes a habit.

If you could concentrate on not doing it you will probably be able to brake the habit. I know someone that fiddles with the same part of the mouth for no reason when they get stressed out about something making their tongue sore.

The crown won't be to blame for you doing this. I hope you can brake the habit soon. Sorry I can't be of much more help, maybe someone with have some idea's on how to stop :butterfly:

Hello, I am posting because I have the same issue. I had a crown put on and the gap between it and the adjacent tooth is driving me crazy. I have tried to explain it to my dentist, but he has been unable to fix it. We have put a filling in the adjacent tooth to help the problem, then we replaced the crown. I have had him look at it for over a year and I have had no luck in stopping my tongue from exploring that area. I even went to another dentist and he said that everything looked great and could not help. I know I am not imagining this space that attracts my tongue and I cannot stop fiddling with it. I wish I never got the crown in the first place if I knew this would happen.
Any advice would be helpful.

Hello
I know what a horrible situation this is first hand.
I can offer some help, I think, though I still am fighting it myself. I once was helped with it by my Neurologist.

First my problem is also the front bottom teeth. There is nothing wrong with my teeth as I have had a full mouth restoration (2006) and have crowns, overlays, or on-lays wherever was needed. This also straightened and smoothed all my teeth.

I consistently explore the front teeth on the bottom causing my tongue to be sore along with my mouth and jaw.

My dentist thought I may be able to retrain my tongue and made a guard for me which didn't work. I believe (along with my experience) the reason is that this habit is not so much a habit but a disorder somewhat like the Tourette family of disorders. Sorry if this is more than you hoped for but there is nothing (in my opinion) the dentist can do. Because if you think about it if the space you explore were just a food trap (which it may be that too) then we would only do this behavior after we eat something. I bet that's not the case. It is not for me.

My Neurologist gave me a medication for anxiety that is also used for OCD and other things. I was in heaven--completely stopped this annoying activity and enjoyed my release from this for two years, Then other things came up like knee surgery, broken leg and the other things life can offer. Also the medication had been increased to a larger dose.

I started to think about cutting down on the medication I was taking (I guess I forgot how horrible this tongue thing was) and discussed with my family doctor about stopping this medication. She agreed I could and I slowly stopped taking it. The problem came back and I have tried to live with it because I hate going to the doctor and really wanted to be meds free as much as possible. but this is stupid.

I certainly can't explain how a medication stops this but can swear it did. By the way, my dentist also smoothed things that didn't need anything and also even bonded behind my front teeth (the area I could not stop touching). It did not stop me.

I'm sure you would be happen with the rotation of your teeth being corrected and if an orthodontist will not straighten them you could see a cosmetic dentist that can correct the situation with crowns instead of braces. I had a missing tooth that caused shifting and they are perfectly aligned now.

I'm going back to be treated by medication. It's just too much.

Anyway, hope you get some relief and best wishes.

This is me.. I've been doing the same thing and it's making me insane.. i feel just like you explained. I'm driving myself nuts and am sure I'm going to push my teeth out doing this. I even do it in my sleep ugh. Hope you found help.

What is the name of the medication you are/were on? Thanks

I realize that this problem was discussed two years ago, but I have been suffering through something very similar and it is seriously driving me insane. It has been happening since last November and nothing I do seems to make it better or stop.

I brush and floss and take good care of my teeth but because of the insurance problems I haven't been able to visit the dentist for about 2 years. I have Periodontal disease and do worry quite a bit about my teeth falling our because they feel loose all the time.

So last November my tongue and inside of my mouth started feeling waxy and my teeth started feeling very sharp and all food started tasting wrong, anything more intense than a little salt and pepper on food burns my mouth. I can't seem to stop my tongue from constantly running over the backs of my teeth, especially the bottom inside ones. The tip of my tongue gets super sore and I still can't stop myself from doing it. Then the back of my tongue will start rubbing against my top back teeth and feel like its too big and still, I can't stop doing it. I am truly losing my mind over this. No one can figure out why or what is happening. My doctor thought it may be caused by severe dry mouth from one of my meds. I have stopped taking them and haven't seen much change yet. Also I have been drinking so much water this entire time and using Biotene spray and lozenges but to no avail. Is this a mental problem? If so I'm starting to think hitting myself in the head with a baseball bat or cutting out my tongue are a few options.

Very interesting and I have been kind of afraid it would be something like that. I've been on anti-anxiety meds as well as anti-depressants and bi-polar meds. I'm wondering if there would be a certain one that would work better for me. Wish it would just be a dental thing.:redface:

I have the same problem although my teeth in the bottom front are fine I tend to scrape my tongue on them. This has caused my gum line to recede and my two front teeth have slightly grown outwards. It's a habit I can't seem to stop it will take a lot of willpower, kind of like my nail biting habit. However I have done Abit of research and some dentists could make a mouth guard and this may help Abit. My dentist hasn't really come across this so I had suggested it to him and he will try and make this for me as soon as he has the materials. I'm really excited about this. I'll let you know how it goes. :) but for the mean time let's try and stop ourselves best we can. Mind over matter. (That's if this is still a problem for you?) lol

I have the exac same issue! It has been driving me crazy and i know what you are experiencing. It started when my lower teeth shifted slightly with wisdom teeth growing in but I can't seem to stop doing it subconsciously. It becomes more aggressive when I'm stressed or nervousness as well, so I do believe a psychological pattern is developing. I thought of trying some type of dental guard to break the habit until I can remove the lower wisdom. If you find a solution,please let me know!

So there is no easy fix... I've been experiencing this same thing since having my teeth cleaned, leaving a small gap between my lower center teeth. In addition to constantly rubbing with my tongue, I also rub with the back side of my mouth under my lower lip. I have scars where it catches in the gap.
I had one week of success by willing myself to smile instead of mess with my teeth. Like, in the car- I smile, open mouthed and wide, all the way to my destination. Then, other times, when I start to mess, I make myself smile instead. I really feel like this may be the only solution for me, that or something like it. In the past I have trained myself using a rubber band to snap my wrist for unwanted behavior. So, now I really have to dig in and work hard at this. I am a happy person. God had blessed me so richly, and I feel it. But this behavior is taking over every thought, and it must stop.

Back