• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

continuing pain after filling

F

freakinaht

Hi. I recently had a filling fall out, it was painless, and I got a temp filling placed at a not so great dental practice because they didn't have time to deal with getting me numb. After that I developed some lymph node tenderness at my jaw, but no tooth issues. I had a permanent filling placed at a new dentist a little over a week later. My lymph node pain has subsided a bit but now I am having tooth aches throughout the day with some more pronounced stabby pain at times and a lot of sensitivity and some light pain on chewing. Last night I had a severe episode of pain after swishing some cold water in my mouth. The pain lasted about an hour and a half, 7/10, and seems like an 800mg ibuprofen helped calm it down. It radiated in my lower left jaw/teeth... the filling is in my last left molar on the bottom.
It was a shallow filling, and after the panoramic xrays I had the day I had the cavity permanently filled, the dentist said my teeth looked great and other than some bone loss due to periodontal disease on the other side (right side), everything looked fine. I do take care of my perio with maintenence appts 2x a year.
I called the dentist office today and they prescribed me a zpack and a steroid.
I took augmentin in the week between the temp filling and the permanent one. I am a little wary of another antibiotic, because I'm not sure it's going to solve the problem if it's infection. Does the dentists suggestions sound right? They did say they'd make room for me to come back in on Thursday if I'm still in pain... today is Monday.
Thanks.... I've never had a filling cause so many problems, and I have had one pop out before.

It's not an infection.
Was it a composite filling? Cold sensitivity is not unusual after one of those, it may settle in a day or two, if not then the dentist needs to look at it again.

@Gordon i think so. It is white. Now my eyelid is swollen. I started having eye pain in the left eye (cavity on left side) the day after the filling... was managing with ibuprofen but today is worse pain and swelling if upper lid. Worrying its related. But yeah itsbeen 5 days since the filling.

Back