• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

COPD patient

A

Alania

I have severe COPD and have periodontitis. My dentist wants to extract 10 teeth ( 3 broken, 3 wisdom and 4 from lower teeth where the gum line is receding). I have a fear of dental work. I have anxiety and had a crying frenzy when the impressions were made for a temporary partial. I cancelled the appointment date even after the dentist answered all my questions about helping me get thru the procedure, I.e. I’m unable to recline, I used pursed lips to exhale, can’t breathe when I have anxiety, etc. unfortunately due to my illness I can not be prescribed any medication to take the edge off as it will slow down your breathing, my breathing is very slow already. I am oxygen dependent and will be utilizing that during any procedures. I asked about doing this in smaller steps instead of 10 at once and he stated the recovery time is the same having 2 vs 10 extracted. I also feel having 10 at once could be very traumatic as well. I would welcome your thoughts on getting this taken care.

Are you actively seen by a doctor who treats you for the COPD? If yes, it might be a good idea to ask for him and your dentist to get in contact. Your doctor treating the COPD might be able to suggest ways to help ease the treatment for you and your dentist should be able to say if he can adapt or not. Another option would be for you to first talk with the doctor treating your COPD and see with him if he thinks you would be able to cope. Afterwards, you could talk to the dentist, maybe also offer him to reach your doctor, with how you would like the treatment to go.

You are the one getting the treatment and should be able to decide how you wish things to go.

Alania -I agree go slow
Geos- Medical consultation is warranted here

Without all the details in general my recommendation would be to pursue treatment slowly. If you were my patient I would strongly consider removing the easiest single tooth first. This establishes the relationship and understanding of what each other needs to continue treatment in a pleasant way.

I agree with Dr K, slow and steady is the way to go.

Hi Alania,
So sorry to hear you are having these worries. Dealing with severe COPD is enough on it's own without other traumas.

Totally agree with Raymond and Gordon. Unfortunately, the drugs used for sedation would be unsuitable for anyone with severe COPD.

Whilst your dentist is correct about two extractions healing as quickly as ten, the point is you were not asking purely about the healing aspect, but also about coping with the actual procedure. It sounds like your dentist did not fully take onboard what you were trying to get across.
I would drop him an email explaining this, or speak to him direct if you feel you can. Starting with the easiest tooth as Raymond suggested is a great way of building you confidence. If it goes well, the dentist can say how doing more that one will be compared with that experience and you will be better able to decide what you can cope with.
Hope it all works out

Lincoln

Back