• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Coping with the needle

K

KTU

Hi 👋 new to the forum. I have had a breakdown due to dental phobia. It's been going on for a few weeks now. Sleep issues weight loss intrusive thoughts etc. All bc of injection fear. How do people cope with getting over the fear of the needle? Can my dr refer me to a hospital to have teeth removed under general anaesthetic?
Thanks in advance for any replies and advice. I'm trying everything I can but this is severely affecting my day to day life.

I also had a horrible phobia of the needles. Last year I had 14 teeth extracted at one time so it required numerous injections. He gave me valium before my appointment and another one after I got there. Had probably 12-15 injections. Did not feel a thing. Keep your eyes closed and don’t look at the needles or what he is doing. Blast music in your ears. Believe me if I could do it so can you. Let us know how you do.

Hi KTU :welcome:,

I‘m sorry to read about your situation, this sounds awful. Was there anything particular that brought about the break down? Also, how do you cope with needles in other settings?

All the best wishes

Hi and ty for the welcome 🙏 I saw a dentist in September or October. He frightened me when he said I had a chronic jaw infection and that the job the sedationist had done was bad work. It's knowing I have to have the tooth removed so I'm not feeling it's giving me choice. I also have PTS and it's triggered it. The tooth keeps getting infected. I even tried to pull it myself. That's how bad it's been. Severe anxiety and panic, intrusive thoughts. Constant state of fear. I'd like the work done under GA.

@Ladydi1724
Well done. I need to be in a calm state and I'm not there yet. Severe anxiety and panic. Can't stop the intrusive thoughts. Trying lots of things but no settled state as of yet. Just thinking about the needle brings me anxiety 😕

Hi!

I wish I had some advice, but all I can send is some encouragement.

I’m glad you posted here. These are difficult situations.

I hope things get better for you soon. Keep us posted.

So you had sedation and it didn‘t work out? And how about needles in other settings than dental?

We have an article about GA here which explains why it is not very used these days for dental treatment in the UK, but if anything else failed you may be able to get to have it.

If this is all about needles, there are many ways how to approach that, depending on what exactly you struggle with. You may find some inspiration here: