• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cosmetic bonding fears - help please

D

dmkvt27

Hello!

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this, so I’m sorry if I’m in the wrong place!

Anyway, I’m here because I have a lot of fears surrounding the bonding on my front 4 teeth. I got it done for cosmetic reasons 1.5 years ago and since then it’s been a huge regret of mine. I have become very anxious about eating due to the bonding. I’ve cracked it once and chipped it again recently and the fear has become a lot worse to the point where I won’t eat even when I’m hungry because I’m afraid of something happening. I have a vacation coming up and after the vacation I plan to have it removed in order to get braces and an eventual jaw surgery (I have a crossbite and under developed top jaw), but until then I need it to be okay so I can enjoy my vacation without cracking it or constantly worrying that I’m going to. If anyone had any advice on how to cope with this it would be very helpful as I’m so tired of not eating and constantly worrying about my teeth. On another note I also have an “edge to edge” bite and my teeth sometimes hit and I was wondering if it is unnecessary to worry that them hitting and it causing a crack or chip? I’ve become so emotionally distraught over this whole thing that it’s severely impacting my mental and physical health. Also I have nightmares about the bonding being taken off for braces and my teeth being ruined, so any words or support on that front could be very comforting too.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for any replies!

I wish I could offer more help, but I would just suggest talking in depth to your dentist about your concerns and seeing if there is anything they can do to help calm your fears. You need to be able to eat to keep your health to be able to heal from any future procedures.

I wish I could offer more help, but I would just suggest talking in depth to your dentist about your concerns and seeing if there is anything they can do to help calm your fears. You need to be able to eat to keep your health to be able to heal from any future procedures.
That’s part of the problem :( I’ve gone and tried to have it removed two weeks ago, but because I don’t have any solid date for getting braces put on the dentist who did the bonding talked me out of getting it removed. I honestly don’t even like the way it looks, and since getting it repaired I hate it even more. The dentist didn’t really like how anxious I was about getting it removed due to fears of it ruining my teeth (I honestly wanted to throw up that day) so they talked me out of it. Now I just have to survive this until I can finally get it off for braces and it’s really been difficult. Thank you for the reply!

"I have a crossbite and under developed top jaw " Without actually examining you this statement makes me suspect that you aren't a good candidate for what you had done. If bonding is performed where it hits first or is subject to high shear forces (like an edge to edge bite) then it is highly probable to fail.
For an edge to edge restoration in front teeth to survive it must be extra strong such as zirconia which now is available more translucent.

The only thing I will add is to not let your dentist intimidate you. That is just a tactic. If you want them off, find a dentist that will listen to you and take them off. Wishing you all the best!

"I have a crossbite and under developed top jaw " Without actually examining you this statement makes me suspect that you aren't a good candidate for what you had done. If bonding is performed where it hits first or is subject to high shear forces (like an edge to edge bite) then it is highly probable to fail.
For an edge to edge restoration in front teeth to survive it must be extra strong such as zirconia which now is available more translucent.
i second every word.
A question comfortdentist: would it be a good idea to use an emax crown?

Hello! Thank you both for the reply. I don’t really even need the bonding it’s purely cosmetic so I don’t think a crown or any permanent kind of work is necessary - plus I’m terrified to do anything that isn’t reversible to my teeth, that’s why I did the bonding as it can be undone, I just didn’t realize I would have such a great fear of cracking and not want to eat it which is the biggest reason for my regret.

Hello! Thank you both for the reply. I don’t really even need the bonding it’s purely cosmetic so I don’t think a crown or any permanent kind of work is necessary - plus I’m terrified to do anything that isn’t reversible to my teeth, that’s why I did the bonding as it can be undone, I just didn’t realize I would have such a great fear of cracking and not want to eat it which is the biggest reason for my regret.
The thing is that in many cases, as yours, a cosmetic solution is not sustainable because first other root causes need to be dealt with.
If your dentist added material at the biting edge of the tooth, this side will encounter so much force when biting that the only advise I can give you is to bite hard food (like apples) with other teeth (like with the canine).
However, if the dentist added bonded material on other facets Of the tooth (for example, to a close a gap) then you don’t have to limit yourself with eating to help it last longer.
Hope it makes sense.

The thing is that in many cases, as yours, a cosmetic solution is not sustainable because first other root causes need to be dealt with.
If your dentist added material at the biting edge of the tooth, this side will encounter so much force when biting that the only advise I can give you is to bite hard food (like apples) with other teeth (like with the canine).
However, if the dentist added bonded material on other facets Of the tooth (for example, to a close a gap) then you don’t have to limit yourself with eating to help it last longer.
Hope it makes sense.
That makes sense, the bonding is for gaps. I didn’t like them so I got it bonded, but now I don’t like the bonding either so I guess it was a little moot. I was eating most things without a problem until I had a chip happen from eating a bagel, since then I have had this eating anxiety due to the bonding. Is it abnormal for bonding to chip like mind did if it’s just for gapping?

That makes sense, the bonding is for gaps. I didn’t like them so I got it bonded, but now I don’t like the bonding either so I guess it was a little moot. I was eating most things without a problem until I had a chip happen from eating a bagel, since then I have had this eating anxiety due to the bonding. Is it abnormal for bonding to chip like mind did if it’s just for gapping?
Yes. Bonding is not strong and can chip.

Yes. Bonding is not strong and can chip.
Okay yeah that’s what I thought. It’s not the strongest. I’ll try to work on eating without using my front teeth and see if I can stop having as much anxiety and actually get some food in me. Do you know the process of removing bonding? That’s another thing that makes me so sick to think about. I know it’s reversible, it can be shaved down or something, but I’ve read things on online forums that have me terrified of going to have it taken off. My teeth underneath were not altered in any way for the bonding and were not discolored prior to getting it on so I just hope that’s what they’re like when it comes off. Sorry about this long rambly message....

Okay yeah that’s what I thought. It’s not the strongest. I’ll try to work on eating without using my front teeth and see if I can stop having as much anxiety and actually get some food in me. Do you know the process of removing bonding? That’s another thing that makes me so sick to think about. I know it’s reversible, it can be shaved down or something, but I’ve read things on online forums that have me terrified of going to have it taken off. My teeth underneath were not altered in any way for the bonding and were not discolored prior to getting it on so I just hope that’s what they’re like when it comes off. Sorry about this long rambly message....
Taking bonding off is very easy. That is one of the advantages of a weak bondage.
One more thing: what would happen if the bonded supplement falls off? I imagine you will more or less come back to the situation you had before. Right?

Taking bonding off is very easy. That is one of the advantages of a weak bondage.
One more thing: what would happen if the bonded supplement falls off? I imagine you will more or less come back to the situation you had before. Right?
I’m glad to hear it’s easy to take off, that is something I obsess about daily because I have a fear of my teeth being ruined underneath. My dentist made it sound like it would be a little hard telling the difference between the bonding and my teeth because it was such a good match of color. I think they were just against me doing it that day because they didn’t want to deal with my anxiety about it and were probably worried I would freak out after they did it because I was so anxious. They think it would be better if I did it right before braces so that way I can’t obsess about my teeth after. I guess my worry about it breaking off is it is embarrassing and I’m worried I won’t be able to fix it immediately depending on when it happens.

Would you be willing to post a picture showing how your front teeth touch when you close and all your teeth touch?
@ dr. Daniel Emax may work. I personally would reserve emax in class 3 bites for the patient who understands that it may break but the superior aesthetics are more important.

Back