• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Could I ever have nice teeth again

L

LoopFeed

I’ve never had the best dental hygiene and it got really when I was a teenager as I was going through a lot of mental health issues and never really had a routine so would often neglect hygiene

now my teeth honestly gross me out,they make me incredibly self conscious whenever I talk to anyone
I was planning on going to the dentist sooner but now with the pandemic that kinda got delayed
I’m still very anxious about going to a dentist and feeling very shameful about how bad my teeth are and I’m not even sure if my teeth could ever look presentable again, I don’t know what I could really do at this point

I don’t think it’s ever really too late to start taking care of/fixing your teeth. It’s best to start as soon as you can before things get worse. I feel a lot better now after I made the decision to see a dentist after 10+ years. I emailed and called different dental surgeries till I found a dentist that seemed to be good with nervous patients. I wasn’t judged or made to feel bad about how my teeth looked.

If you’re comfortable enough to give out more information about what your teeth are like, there are dentists here who could give you more information on what could be done. There are also a lot of useful resources on this website on how to deal with dental fear, how to find a good dentist etc

I’ve never had the best dental hygiene and it got really when I was a teenager as I was going through a lot of mental health issues and never really had a routine so would often neglect hygiene

now my teeth honestly gross me out,they make me incredibly self conscious whenever I talk to anyone
I was planning on going to the dentist sooner but now with the pandemic that kinda got delayed
I’m still very anxious about going to a dentist and feeling very shameful about how bad my teeth are and I’m not even sure if my teeth could ever look presentable again, I don’t know what I could really do at this point

I've been in your shoes! I didn't go to a dentist for the first 30 years of my life. After a lot of emotional support from my husband, I researched dentists and sent him as my test subject for cleanings to see how the particular dentist was. When we found a good one, I made an appointment. Making the appointment is really a difficult thing. Beforehand I was researching dentures, bridges, implants, flying to other countries for low cost implants, etc. I was shocked when I finally went to my appointment and learned that I didn't have to lose a single tooth (except wisdom teeth). Sedation dentistry is a godsend because you can have work done without a care in the world. The road hasn't been easy, but the more times I go, the more comfortable I get. Since my first visit, I've been through a deep cleaning, many fillings, 2 root canals with crowns, and wisdom teeth removed. There is a lot they can do to save teeth these days with very little discomfort. Dentists and hygienists see all kinds of different cases every day, and most are very kind and understanding. All that matters is that you are trying to fix this now and the past doesn't matter. :)

Back