• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Could it be nerve pain?

M

mytoothhurts2

i have posted previously about trouble I'm having with a filling that is next to an wisdom tooth extraction site. I'm in a world of pain, my face doesn't look swollen but I can't lie on that side and the pain extends down to under my chin. The filled tooth was sensitive to cold/heat but this morning I took a sip of room temperature water and that set it off ( the water was quite warm/tepid as it's so hot - australia ).

My dentist who did the filling is on holidays and I've seen 2 junior dentists since who both ground down the filling a little. One took an xray that shows the filling is quite close to the pulp but really seemed to have no idea or care about what was going on. I don't think there is an infection as I have been taking penicillin ( for tonsillitis I am now getting over but it should also work on tooth ) and a couple of days ago I also started taking prednisolone that I occasionally take for another condition hoping it would help with the inflammation.

I'm now wondering if there is actually nerve damage either under the filled tooth or where the wisdom tooth was extracted (extracted 11 November)and could have been retraumatized by the filling. Should I go back to the Oral Surgeon who extracted the wisdom tooth? As the dentists don't know is this something he could deal with?

I'm sorry about all my posts but I am so anxious about the pain and fear of losing the tooth. I'm even afraid of a RCT as I already have another RCT in my mouth that we are " waiting to settle":cry:

Hi
from your brief description it is unlikely that there is nerve damage and tepid water is unlikely to have much effect on an extraction site. This leaves the filling as the most likely cause.
I think you need to see the dentist again rather than the oral surgeon.

Back