• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Could not be frozen.

J

Jaydawg

Hi, I new to the forum and this is my first post.

I recently had a back lower molar removed due to a failed root canal. It was very infected and I had to go on anti-biotics for a week prior to the extraction. My regular dentist was out of town so his colleage stepped in to do the procedure.

After repeated attempts he could not freeze my lower jaw. He explained that two things were happening 1. I had alot of infection and that can hamper the freezing and 2. I had a different from normal anatomy and therefore he had trouble landmarking where to put the freezing.

He did end up freezing me, but only after 5 attempts. My question is this... when he was trying to landmark I often would feel a electrical type sensation shooting across my tongue. I never had this before and now 2 weeks after my extraction I have a mild numbness on my tongue. Can anyone explain what this is and if you think it is permanent.

Thanks.

Hi!

:welcome:

Rarely during an injection in that area the needle can go a wee bit closer to the nerve than is planned - hence the 'sparky' sensation. Also, perhaps because of a bruise in this area the numbness can persist for a few weeks until it all settles down and gets back to normal. It is very rare to have any permanent loss of sensation as a result.

Hope that helps.

Pars :)

Yes it does help, thanks for the quick reply.

Back