• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Could this be neuralgia?

M

MountainMama

I had a lower left first molar extracted Thursday. It is healing nicely and I have all the typical issues that go along with it like surrounding teeth hurting and TMJD flaring up.
The unexpected issue I had pop up is that an upper first molar on the opposite side from the extraction (right) has started getting little zings when I chew. I am talking about chewing soft food like rice and baked fish. It is not cold sensitive as far as I know. It aches a little but I figured it was the TMJD. It makes no sense as it did not bother me before the extraction. It has an amalgam filling.
Normally, my teeth just randomly hurt with neuralgia, not combined with chewing. Does this sound like something else?
With me, as soon as one issue is fixed, another one immediately pops up. ?

It could be, short duration sharp pains are typical, can you find an actual trigger point for it?

It could be, short duration sharp pains are typical, can you find an actual trigger point for it?
Unfortunately it seemed to be coming from one place on my tooth. Later when I was brushing my teeth, I was probing at the tooth with an interdental brush and it gave me a zing in one spot. However there is a weird feeling in the premolar as well, which is a virgin tooth. I ate some biscuits and sausage this morning and it didn’t hurt or zing at all, but my jaw has a weird feeling of pressure right now, probably from the TMJD. The extraction put a lot of pressure on my jaw. I felt it in my jaw joints.

Thanks for responding and Merry Christmas Eve!

Well it was a little odd feeling this morning but I haven’t had any issues while eating today. Hopefully it was just neuralgia acting up!

That's good. Considering how stressed most of us get at this time of year, at the best of times and then adding Covid into the mix, I'd be amazed if TMD wasn't at all time record levels!

That's good. Considering how stressed most of us get at this time of year, at the best of times and then adding Covid into the mix, I'd be amazed if TMD wasn't at all time record levels!

No kidding, right? You all are really getting it over there with the new strain of Covid, I hear. Be careful! It will be here soon enough I guess. Two of my nieces just tested positive and my parents were exposed to them so Christmas was spent without family being together this year.
The pain was back yesterday when chewing but I am going to wait and see if it becomes consistent before Igo back to the dentist. It just seems too coincidental that it starts hurting right after the tooth extraction. It was not giving me any issues before at all.

Back