• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Could this be trigeminal neuralgia?

D

dawnlouise185

I have a cavity on one of my right upper teeth and due to extreme dental anxiety haven't had this fixed yet. I have been chewing on the right side for a few months now and am now getting severe pain on some of the lower teeth which starts off feeling like extreme sensitivity where even touching the gum will cause searing pain. It seems to build up to the point where it is shooting up to my ear and all over the left side of my face and even down my neck. The pain is worse after eating and in the evening when i'm trying to relax. Painkillers barely touch the pain.

The course to take when you have facial pain is to completely and without a doubt rule out all possible dental causes and then myofascial pain syndromes (TMJ type issues) PRIOR to going the diagnosis of tgn.

Back