• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Could this mean an issue with the implant?

M

MountainMama

My front tooth extraction/bone graft/implant seems to be healing well. It will be four months next week. I have no more pain in the area (after some irritation from the bone graft plate flaking off in October) but there is a weird sensitive spot behind the extraction site.
I don’t quite know how to explain how it feels. It doesn’t hurt but when I accidentally brush my tongue against it, or any food hits that spot, it feels kind of like when you bump your elbow on your “funny bone”. That weird zing feeling?
It is right on the palate side of the extraction site, mostly on one side.
I know no one can tell me what it is, but does it sound like something that could be related to the implant? Or maybe just nerve related?
I go back to get the implant uncovered and the torque test done on Jan. 14th and I am super nervous!

Better to PM Comfortdentist or Lincoln, they've got a lot more experience on implants.

Typically all the problems with a newly placed implant happens in the first month. After that you are usually fine. Occasionally there can be some altered sensation for many months afterwards from the surgery where micro nerves get cut. Of course like everything else there is always those odd ones that rarely happen.

Typically all the problems with a newly placed implant happens in the first month. After that you are usually fine. Occasionally there can be some altered sensation for many months afterwards from the surgery where micro nerves get cut. Of course like everything else there is always those odd ones that rarely happen.

Thanks. That makes me feel better. Everything else with the implant seems to be fine and there is no pain, so hopefully it is just the micro nerves like you mentioned. I have been the odd scenario in most of my dental stuff this past year, but so far all the implants seem to have gone well. I will find out for sure in a little over a week, but at least now I am not going to worry over it, as the micro nerves being cut seems a much more likely cause.

Back