• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Could tooth pain be caused by a cold?

S

spanna

Hi everyone,

I've not been around here for quite a while, hope everyone is well and had a good Christmas!

So the reason for my post is that I've got pain/pressure similar to that which I felt when I had a abcess just starting but no where near as intense and it feels like it's all of my upper molars on both sides. The pain/pressure is not constant, in fact I only get it when I lean over, jump or stamp my feet! I think it could have something to do with the fact that I'm just getting over a cold and am still congested, maybe something to do with my sinus'??? I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about but just wondered if anyone else has experienced this or could shed any light?

Thanks in advance
Spanna!

Colds can affect how teeth feel. Colds affect ears, which are close to the jaw joint - so it stands to reason that any pressure and swelling there can affect the jaw and the nerves which lead into it.

A week or so ago, my son had 2 or 3 days with pain in that area. He thought his ears were plugging up because of sinusitis, but it turns out he had a cavity. It can go both ways.

I'm not a dentist, but in my experience, pain when bending over is almost always sinus related.

Agreed with others - this sounds like you have congestion in your sinuses which may be very near this tooth. Try taking some anti congestion medication and see if that helps. I've been sick recently and the left side of my face in the sinus area has been pretty swollen. It's been bad enough that it is making my cheek and teeth/gums feel swollen too, but I know that it's not due to a mouth infection - just a symptom of my cold.

Feel better!

Thanks for the replies guys! It cleared up on its own after a few days. Got another all clear at my check up and my dentist confirmed the pain I had would have been due to congestion.

Back