• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Could use advice about getting used to dentures

O

OkDani

I'm not sure what to expect when I get my partial dentures on Thursday. I know my front bottom 4 are coming out.
Any resources or personal experiences are welcome, if you feel it will be helpful.

Thanks so much.

OkDani

Hi OkDani

I had 5 lower front come out when I was 30 and partial dentures , partial with metal. Compared to the teeth I had at the times, I was quite happy to get them, but it is an adjustment period . Do you mean what to expect after you get them or the process. its been a bit of time for me since the whole process , 20 years. but it wasn't too bad.. some impressions , seems to me I had 2 impression appointments and the dentist that did it was really nice and cool and I remember being afraid but he really made it go smooth for me. I honestly don't remember too much after that., remember the 5 teeth coming out so quickly and it was my dentists associate who pulled them, and another who did the impressions since she was out.. honestly they were both a bit cute so that helped :). I hope your process will go well..

Hi OkDani

I had 5 lower front come out when I was 30 and partial dentures , partial with metal. Compared to the teeth I had at the times, I was quite happy to get them, but it is an adjustment period . Do you mean what to expect after you get them or the process. its been a bit of time for me since the whole process , 20 years. but it wasn't too bad.. some impressions , seems to me I had 2 impression appointments and the dentist that did it was really nice and cool and I remember being afraid but he really made it go smooth for me. I honestly don't remember too much after that., remember the 5 teeth coming out so quickly and it was my dentists associate who pulled them, and another who did the impressions since she was out.. honestly they were both a bit cute so that helped :). I hope your process will go well..
Oh yes. Thank you! I meant to say that I'm not sure how long it takes to heal & get used to. Is it extremely painful??

OkDani,

So,, it has been some years. I do remember it being "weird" and a bit tight feeling . and also trying to get used to talking with this new device in my mouth. If I remember maybe a week or two I was pretty used to that part The part that was hard for me to get used to was eating and i Try to eat alone alot so I could go as slow as I needed to.. I tried several different adhesives . and that did help it stay in. though I didn't like adhesives so after a bit.. maybe a few months I decided to not use it anymore unless I was out with people in public . I know for me, having the dentures was alot better than the teeth I had before they pulled them . My self confidence really got alot better being able to smile . and no one could tell but me :).

I'll be following this topic as I am also going to need the same so really interested too. I've already lost the teeth so mine would more be the fitting and getting used to it part. Eating is not easy for me without this so I congratulate you on moving forward making the plans and getting this done.

I can give experience on having extractions done in general but I haven't had that many in one go, all mine were one at a time bar last effort which was two and have been over a number of years. These recent last two were pretty good in 3-4 days and there wasn't much pain involved at all, even the 3-4 days was more soreness and discomfort then pain if that makes sense.
One of my brothers had all his top teeth replaced with a denture in one procedure, not sure how many he had removed but a lot more then 5, he seemed to take about a week to be fully up and running with the new denture, he did have a bit of an adjustment time for talking and eating but he tells me that was not too bad and only a few days really.

Good luck with this and good on you for getting it sorted out!

Thanks both of you. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm planning a small visit to my parents & was curious about how long I should wait before I would feel like going out of town. I think after a week I should be ok. Right??

My brother came over to my house and was drinking beers etc. with me after about a week, think it was less as was the weekend after he had done so I would think a week sounds fair to me to be up and getting about based on his experience (I'm not a dentist though and speaking second hand of him). He was still eating soft foods and getting used to talking a bit but was otherwise OK.

Not saying go drinking beers was a good idea btw! ...but point was he was getting around pretty well :)

Not saying go drinking beers was a good idea btw! ...but point was he was getting around pretty well :)
Perfectly fine! Hell I might want to have a beer with my dad! Thanks for your response. I'm interested in hearing about as many of you all as possible

Here are two resources that haven't been mentioned yet, in case you haven't come across that here on the page already. One of it is an article and the other one a thread from our FAQ. You might find some good input about what to expect and how to go about things:

Here are two resources that haven't been mentioned yet, in case you haven't come across that here on the page already. One of it is an article and the other one a thread from our FAQ. You might find some good input about what to expect and how to go about things:

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!!

Back