• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Covid Cleaning

N

needlephobic

I have an appointment next week for a check up and cleaning. I’m just curious if anyone’s gone post covid and how it went. I was told on the phone since aerosols can’t be used it will be all by hand but I’m not positive what to expect in terms of this and how long it will take. Any input anyone can give me would be much appreciated. . . starting to get kind of nervous. I’m always anxious about going to the dentist, mainly for procedures, but this adds a little bit extra even on a cleaning.

I am always nervous about going to dentist, I go every three months. I had one done by hand in July, I had to go private this time instead of NHS treatment. It took about 15-20 minutes, as she did polish my teeth afterwards

Hi needlephobic

I recently went to the dentist for a check up and a cleaning, and mine was a hand cleaning too. Instead of using both the ultrasonic and hand scalers, the hygienist just used hand scalers. I was so worried about this, but it actually turn out to be alright. It wasn't uncomfortable, the most uncomfortable thing for me was the noise. But again, it wasn't as bad as I was imagining it to be. Then after quickly flossing between my teeth, they still did a quick polish, but instead of doing it like normal, they applied some on a cotton bud and rubbed it over my teeth. Then after rinsing my mouth out, that was it. I was honestly so worried about how I was going to react, but it wasn't as bad as I was imaging it to be.

I hope this helps a little bit, you got this :XXLhug:

Sorry, can I just ask if you’re seeing an NHS dentist or private? There are no NHS dentists in my city so I’m having to go private and pay extra for PPE. I’m not too sure whether that means they can do a scale and polish with their usual machine instead of by hand.

I don't know about the OP, but I'm with a private dentist. I pay monthly to be part of their dental health plan, which basically covers the cost of two checkups and two cleanings each year. I didn't have to pay extra to cover PPE, but mine was just a hand cleaning, maybe if you're paying extra to cover PPE, they might be doing a normal cleaning.

I just had a dentist appointment today and I’m booked in for a scale and polish. I asked how they were going to do it because of the aerosol and because I’m paying private and extra £25 for PPE, they’re able to use the usual machine instead of having to do it by hand.

Are cleanings only done with hand pieces at the moment? I just can't with all that scraping noise and pressure. It takes so much longer and hurts a lot.

Are cleanings only done with hand pieces at the moment? I just can't with all that scraping noise and pressure. It takes so much longer and hurts a lot.
I think it depends on your dentist. I’m with a private dentist and I’m going to pay extra £25 for special PPE so they’re able to do it with the ultrasonic machine.

I haven't been since March but hope it goes ok.

I was charge 60 pounds mine was private instead of NHS since the dental practice cant offer nhs services at moment, and did included cost towards ppe, mine was a full hand scale. once restrictions are improved i will go back to nhs. as i am currently unemployed

I had my cleaning last week and was surprised they didn’t charge me any PPE fee. I compared my last bill and there is only 1$ difference for the same bill items. I had one less bill item since they couldn’t do the polishing due to the restrictions.

Thanks so much everyone. Frost girl your answer was incredibly helpful and super comforting if it does end up being totally hand scaling. I’m honestly not sure what NHS vs private is. I just know that when I spoke with them they said it would be hand. I do have insurance which will cover the costs so I guess we will have to see.

Glad I could help :XXLhug:

I thought you might be based in the US, I'm based in the UK and we have a different system, not many people have insurance.

Hope it goes well for you!

Thanks so much everyone. Frost girl your answer was incredibly helpful and super comforting if it does end up being totally hand scaling. I’m honestly not sure what NHS vs private is. I just know that when I spoke with them they said it would be hand. I do have insurance which will cover the costs so I guess we will have to see.
I’m so sorry. I forgot that not everyone here is from the UK. Good luck with the appointment and hope it goes well

I had a cleaning done at my dentist (UK private) the other day. It was full hand scale and no aerosol. I was actually terrified as I’d never even had any hand scaling done before and I felt sick. At first it made me cringe a little but I got used to it and it was only about 15 minutes.
One thing that was better was the cold water tends to set some of my sensitive teeth off, and since there was no water I didn’t have any of these cold shocks with the hand scale.
They rubbed some polish stuff round at the end. I wasn’t allowed to spit though! ?
Good luck! ?

My dentist also managed to repair a bit of filling I accidenly chip off, in the last checkup where I was charged 60 pounds for the whole appointment, she did mention having this tooth crowned, next year,

I already had the tooth root canal twice in the last 15 years, surprise the tooth had not been crowned already. being an NHS patient when I had the root canal done and not paying as was unemployed.

I was allowed to rinse with the mouthwash or whatever it is providing at the dentist.