• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Covid19 can’t be seen by dentist/ Dry Socket advice please

L

loopylass

Bottom molar at back extracted 13 days ago, when checked by dentist last Friday had dry socket (I hadn’t been in too much pain so surprised) he cleaned out some food particles that had got stuck in there and dressed it and it felt much better ..
Till Tues when started hurting in cheek area, Wednesday it was worse so I phoned dentist who explained the practice had to shut and sounds like the dressing ha dissolved and exposing the bone, given time the gum will grow over it and till then I would have to ‘tough it out’ with painkillers and he gave me some antibiotics. Advised to continue rinses with salt water.
Pain much less now thankfully and now I’m wondering how well I should clean the socket out, as the dentist who dressed it last week said it’s very deep socket and I’d have been unable to shift the food that was in there. Worried that food may settle there and cwise problems So do I rely on rinses to clean it or can I brush the area gently with a toothbrush? As it’s the one furthest at the back I’m struggling to see it clearly. Could I use syringe? My husband has a water pic but I think that would be too strong a jet.
Any advice appreciated I thank you in advance as sadly the dentists in uk at present are unable to work until they feel better precautions in place to protect everyon.

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Dear Loopylass,

first of all, it does not sound like you had a dry socket at all. You are at this stage completely out of danger.
if food particles settle in the wound , don’t touch it, it will find its way out.
the more you irritate the extraction site, the longer the healing will be. Let the body heal itself.
All the best

L

loopylass

Oh, thank you Dr Daniel. I didn’t have much pain but the dentist told me I had dry socket? Is is sometimes a matter of opinion then if the clot has gone?
I take your point about disturbing the site too much and will just continue the salt water rinses I think.
many thanks for your reply

M

Mike

Verified dentist
It may or may not have been a dry socket and you can get varying degrees of them. If it has been even a mild case the socket will be more 'empty' so food will get trapped a bit until it fills in from the sides. As Daniel said you're out of danger now so just gentle cleaning with warm salty rinses should keep things sweet.

L

loopylass

Thank you Mike - yes that make sense and it is feeling better - feeling some tenderness in top tooth and not sure if it’s down to the extracted one, or if it’s because it’s in middle of root canal treatment- it was cleaned out in jan 8th and hasn’t had final sealing done because endodontist was sick and then I had other more urgent mouth issues to sort. He put a proper filling in, not a tempo one, amd he said it would be ok for months, and I’m putting tenderness down to surgery on a previous extraction next to it - and also because it was knocked when the second extraction was done couple weeks ago and maybe inflamed from then. I cant take ibuprofen and seem to take ages to heal.
Having had few things go wrong at once I feel overwhelmed with teeth issues and lived with pain/discomfort for so long, this virus will now mean it’ll be longer to be sorted so I will need to be patient.

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Oh, thank you Dr Daniel. I didn’t have much pain but the dentist told me I had dry socket? Is is sometimes a matter of opinion then if the clot has gone?
I take your point about disturbing the site too much and will just continue the salt water rinses I think.
many thanks for your reply
It is not a matter of opinion, dry socket is a distinguished diagnose. However, most dentists have not seen it because it is a very rare complication.
When I was a dental student a patient of mine had a dry socket and every day she came toclean her dry socket in the oral surgery department and that was my only time encountering that.