• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cracked below the gumline, what does this mean? Can the tooth be saved?

D

Dentist hater

Hello,

I have been told by two dentists that my tooth really needs to be extracted. At first the second dentist said he would do root canal and then changed his mind. I, (being really paronoid about having a tooth missing, as it would be able to be seen) still think that there could be a chance to save it.

This is the knowledge that i have about this tooth. I heard the dentist say "Its cracked below the gumline" or something. And "There is very little tooth left to restore it after the root filling" But the tooth currently has a temp filling that has stayed and seems ok. Can a tooth that has had absess, 'cracked below gumline' still be saved because i really want it saved. If you are an NHS patient can you just ring the dental hospital and ask them if they can treat you and try to save it for you because i dont understand a dentist saying he will save it and then saying he wont, shouldnt he be sure before he tells a patient on what treatment they need, giving them false hope. Will the dental hospital treat me.Any advice would be grateful and if a dentist could kindly comment would make me feel better. Thanks

A crack below the gumline usually means the end for the tooth, doesn't matter whether it's in a dental hospital or anywhere else. Sorry.

Sometimes you can do heroic stuff involving surgery, crowns and so forth, but this has less than a 10% chance of working whereas an implant would be 99% likely to work and would cost the same or less...

Back