• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cracked root canaled tooth?

V

vcq09

I am terrified of going to local dentists (I am currently out of the country) and recently saw what appeared to be a hairline crack (about 3-4mm) in the OUTER enamel of my root canaled front tooth; last week, the crack was only at the top of the tooth touching the gumline in the dead center of the tooth. Last night I looked in the mirror and the crack now runs the entire length of the tooth down the center.

When I initially had the tooth RCed in 2011, I asked the endo about the vertical "crack" I saw and was told there was no issue (he also used dye and lights to check for cracks). I just assumed it was a craze line and have noticed other craze lines appearing in that tooth (more so than the "normal" front tooth next to it). The tooth did not receive a crown at the time.

It's been four years since the RC (which was retreated several months later due to lingering pain), I'm overseas without access to a dentist for the next month, and I'm panicking that the whole tooth is going to crack.

Are there any precautions I should be taking? I don't bite into / bite down on anything hard since having the tooth RCed, I'm just wondering what the chances are that the whole tooth will fracture in the next month. I used a mirror to look at the back of the tooth, and the crack only appears to involve the front at this point.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I am freaking out over here :(

Hi I have a front top tooth like yours and I think it is just a craze crack. I have been worried in the past that mine your break or crack but it hasn't yet.

I would think that as the dentist checked the tooth and said there wasn't anything to worry about that you will be okay. If you are still worried when you get back go and see your own dentist and let them put your mind at rest or give you the treatment you may need :butterfly:

I am terrified of going to local dentists (I am currently out of the country) and recently saw what appeared to be a hairline crack (about 3-4mm) in the OUTER enamel of my root canaled front tooth; last week, the crack was only at the top of the tooth touching the gumline in the dead center of the tooth. Last night I looked in the mirror and the crack now runs the entire length of the tooth down the center.

When I initially had the tooth RCed in 2011, I asked the endo about the vertical "crack" I saw and was told there was no issue (he also used dye and lights to check for cracks). I just assumed it was a craze line and have noticed other craze lines appearing in that tooth (more so than the "normal" front tooth next to it). The tooth did not receive a crown at the time.

It's been four years since the RC (which was retreated several months later due to lingering pain), I'm overseas without access to a dentist for the next month, and I'm panicking that the whole tooth is going to crack.

Are there any precautions I should be taking? I don't bite into / bite down on anything hard since having the tooth RCed, I'm just wondering what the chances are that the whole tooth will fracture in the next month. I used a mirror to look at the back of the tooth, and the crack only appears to involve the front at this point.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I am freaking out over here :(

Did your dentist ever recommend getting it crowned? root canaled teeth eventually become dry and brittle and they are usually (though not always) crowned to protect them from breaking.

Did your dentist ever recommend getting it crowned? root canaled teeth eventually become dry and brittle and they are usually (though not always) crowned to protect them from breaking.

I had actually asked my dentist (not the endo who originally performed the procedure) about the "soundness" of the tooth before going overseas for six months; I had numerous X-rays taken in February and March, and nothing was mentioned about a crown. Really, REALLY wish I'd insisted BEFORE going overseas as the tooth is#9 and it would be REALLY noticeable if it happens to crack completely and fall out. I won't be back in the US for another five weeks :(

Seeing as I don't chew on hard items or bite into things, what are the chances it's a craze line vs. an actual fracture?? I really, REALLY don't want to go see a dentist in the country I'm currently in, but it may come to that...I'm not sure what could be done at this point.

The "crack" is visible from a certain angle and appears to run down the dead center of the tooth. in addition, there is a visible line on the OUTSIDE enamel of the tooth as well (all the other craze lines I'd previously noticed did not affect the actual surface).

Am totally freaking out and wondering if a temporary crown would help...my biggest fear is that the D**n tooth is going to split and fall out. I am being VERY careful not to chew on the tooth and brush softly. Since it's RCed, it's not like it's causing any pain...

If the dentist runs the probe across the tooth and it does not "catch" on the line it is just a craze, if it catches it would be a deeper "crack" if it feels smooth and you do not feel movement when you chew then it is likely just a craze line

I had actually asked my dentist (not the endo who originally performed the procedure) about the "soundness" of the tooth before going overseas for six months; I had numerous X-rays taken in February and March, and nothing was mentioned about a crown. Really, REALLY wish I'd insisted BEFORE going overseas as the tooth is#9 and it would be REALLY noticeable if it happens to crack completely and fall out. I won't be back in the US for another five weeks :(

Seeing as I don't chew on hard items or bite into things, what are the chances it's a craze line vs. an actual fracture?? I really, REALLY don't want to go see a dentist in the country I'm currently in, but it may come to that...I'm not sure what could be done at this point.

The "crack" is visible from a certain angle and appears to run down the dead center of the tooth. in addition, there is a visible line on the OUTSIDE enamel of the tooth as well (all the other craze lines I'd previously noticed did not affect the actual surface).

Am totally freaking out and wondering if a temporary crown would help...my biggest fear is that the D**n tooth is going to split and fall out. I am being VERY careful not to chew on the tooth and brush softly. Since it's RCed, it's not like it's causing any pain...

Hi.

I recently had a similar problem. I had a tooth (a back molar) that didn't get crowned right away and it fractured. Started off as a crack and then fractured a couple of weeks later.

One thing I want to mention is that even if it is a root canaled tooth it is possible to have pain if it's fractured or cracked. I had pain with mine when it fractured. I couldn't chew on it or anything.

I haven't gotten my permanent crown yet, as I just had the work done a week ago. But since I got the temporary crown the pain has subsided.

Is your tooth causing you pain?

Thanks.

JJ

Hi,

generally speaking, with god illumination it possible to spot on almost every tooth superficial cracks and lines. This is specially true to the front teeth which are very visible. It is true that a tooth which has been through a root canal treatment is more suspicious for a crack. The key question is how big is the filling on top of the root canal is (in other words, how much tooth structure is left). If it is a minimal filling (hence, lots of tooth structure), there is no indication for a crown. Believe me, if a dentist sees a slight indication for a crown, it is mentioned and a price estimation is automatically given ;).

if you don't feel any sensitivity with biting on this tooth, there is no need for a treatment. If you do start to feel something, I suggest you avoid biting on it and you will have enough time to go back home to your dentist. It should not be a problem.

Thanks so much. I have been avoiding chewing / biting down with the tooth (then again, I've generally avoided biting into apples / corn, etc., since the RC 4 years ago but did used to bite into chewy bread...). Nothing has broken off; there's just a visible vertical crack running directly down the center. I had even asked my dentist in March about the need for a crown and was told it hadn't reached that point. I have been getting some strange sensations from the tooth similar to those before the RC was retreated, but it's fleeting.

I first noticed the crack (outside enamel, that is) about two weeks ago...when I first noticed it, the crack was only a few millimeters at the very top of the tooth dead center. When I looked again about 1.5 weeks ago, the (outside) crack ran the length of the tooth and is very visible; however, the "internal" crack looks very similar to another craze line in the same tooth.

I am going to try and hang on for another month until I am back in the States and can see my regular dentist; the way I look at it, there's not much a local dentist can do. If it is indeed fractured, it will probably need to be extracted and replaced with an implant, which I am certainly not doing in country. I'm just hoping that with babying it will not fracture or fall out before I get home :(

Back