• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cracked tooth concern

T

toraflora

Three days ago I accidentally bit hard on a cherry pit on my canine tooth, and still it hurts and feels sensitive. Should I be concerned?

Only way to know for sure would be for a dentist to take a look.

I bit hard on a cherry pit on tooth teeth, and I checked with the small dental mirror I have at home and it seemed a little cracked (small fine line down the middle, hard to tell). Right now, it’s sensitive to hot and cold temperature and sweets and hurts when I release it from a bite. I’m super worried that I’ll need a root canal for this. I’m going to see my dentist in three days, which hopefully is short enough of a time for it not to get worse. Does anyone know if something like this would need root canal? Thanks!

I bit hard on a cherry pit on tooth teeth, and I checked with the small dental mirror I have at home and it seemed a little cracked (small fine line down the middle, hard to tell). Right now, it’s sensitive to hot and cold temperature and sweets and hurts when I release it from a bite. I’m super worried that I’ll need a root canal for this. I’m going to see my dentist in three days, which hopefully is short enough of a time for it not to get worse. Does anyone know if something like this would need root canal? Thanks!

I have a cracked molar that is super sensitive to hot and cold, and hurts if I chew anything harder than pasta. I had it tested at the endodontist and the pulp was fine. Yours may just be cracked and need a filling or crown. Three days won't make much difference as long as you don't chew hard food. Mine has been cracked for at least four months, but I am delaying treatment for now. I had extractions on the other side and can't chew on that side, so I don't want to be completely without the ability to chew.

My teeth are also sensitive when I just lightly lick the crack with my tongue...is that normal haha

My teeth are also sensitive when I just lightly lick the crack with my tongue...is that normal haha

Mine hurts when I brush and at certain times without even touching it, especially after I have just eaten.

So I got the teeth checked briefly by my dentist, and after an X-ray, bite test, and just observation, she said that there were no cracks but there was tooth trauma that needs time to heal. She said the gum seems affected because when she picked at it it bled a bit or something like that. If the tooth is still very sensitive to air, does that mean this is a crack (and that she missed it during the check up)? Or am I just paranoid and should just trust my dentist?

I would trust your dentist at this point. Think about how much pain and sensitivity a high bite can cause after a filling. I would think trauma to the tooth by biting something hard can do the same thing.

I would give it a few weeks and baby the tooth. If it still hurts, then maybe get a second opinion.

Back