• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cracked Tooth Root Extraction! Terrified! PLEASE HELP! Thinking of Canceling!

L

Laura Martin

Cracked Tooth Root Extraction! Terrified! PLEASE HELP! Thinking of Canceling!

I had a failed root canal done by my dentist last week. Once inside the tooth he found a vertical crack in my bottom molar's tooth root. So off I went to have my oral surgeon look at it. This same surgeon pulled my wisdom teeth while I was fully awake with just local numbing because I am terrified of sedation. I did just fine. However, at this appointment he said with there not being much tooth structure above the gum left, the cracked root, and curved roots that this one would be a more difficult extraction. I asked him more difficult than my broken wisdom tooth and how long it would take to remove it. He said yes and that he booked me for 30 minutes. I said that 30 minutes wasn't that bad and his response was "30 minutes can feel like forever if I am digging that tooth out." That did it for me. I am now TERRIFIED to have it extracted. He said I would feel no pain but perhaps a ton of pressure and hear unpleasant sounds. I am so scared I am considering canceling the appointment. I trust this surgeon but what he said scared me. :( Did he just use a poor choice of words or should I prep myself for a horrible experience? What is the procedure for a vertical cracked tooth root, will it be terrifying if I am fully awake? I am so scared of sedation- I can't do it. So that leaves me in a very bad place. Advice needed.

Last edited:
Re: Cracked Tooth Root Extraction! Terrified! PLEASE HELP! Thinking of Canceling!

Are you afraid of ALL sedation? Meaning, there are pills you can take that won't put you to sleep. They will relax you and take away anxiety. Or else nitrus oxide ( the gas). It also doesn't make you sleepy. It just takes the edge off of anxiety and makes the time feel like it goes quicker.

Usually a dentist can administer these.

As for the noises, when I get dental work done, I take my phone and ear buds, and listen to my music pretty loudly and I find that helps.

best of luck!

Re: Cracked Tooth Root Extraction! Terrified! PLEASE HELP! Thinking of Canceling!

Yes I am afraid of all sedation. My anxiety comes from feeling out of control. I can't do it that is why I had my wisdom teeth removed under only local numbing.

I had a tooth extracted because of a root fracture. It wasn't complicated so I cannot speak to what the sounds and sensations would be for you. However I know I was in a lot of pain before the extraction and the tooth had been given a root canal several years ago. Let's say I was in enough pain that I was sent for the extraction right away from the endodontists office straight to my dentist. The endo called them himself and told them it needs to come out now because of the pain. If you can muster up anyway to get it extracted I would encourage you to do so. Nitrous is not bad. You don't feel out of control just relaxed and it's out of your system a couple of minutes after they stop. They can even control how much or how little you get at your request. Think of it like a faucet of water. You can turn the knob a little and get a trickle or a lot and get a river of water or something in between. The headphones are also a good idea for the sound aspect of it.

Back