• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crisis time

S

scotsman44

It's been some time since I last was on this site but here goes ...

My teeth are in a perilous state. I am missing one upper due to a crown that completely fell out and was lost, and several others have holes where fillings have over the years come away.

My lower jaw, however, is in dire straits. There is some kind of 'growth' is all I can call it from the teeth to below the gums. I have never been able to work out if this is the bone being reveled or something else. Whichever it is, gaps and cracks are now beginning to appear within it and eventually I am sure my front lower teeth will come loose and fall out.

I recognise this is all my own fault ... I had a seriously unsympathetic and quite aggressive (you could say bullying) dentist as a child, which put me off for life. I have watched slowly as my teeth get worse, thinking tht one day I'll pluck up the courage to do something about it. Last night, as a sharp bit of whatever is in my lower jaw came away I knew I have to face it this time.

I would prefer not to have a denture but I guess this is what I am facing. I do, however, need to know if two things are possible:

1. Is there a dentist in the general London area who will treat me carefully and without judgement?
2. (A difficult one I know) if I need a denture can it possibly be done with a temp denture as soon as possible? After a long and financially difficult period of unemployment I am now back at work but need to be able to interact with clients, and weeks of no lower teeth will seriously impact on my position and my ability to pay for the work.

Any help/advice hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

Ian.

Just to say, if it was not obvious from the main post, I am absolutely terrified of even crossing the door of a dental surgery which is why, apart from a gum emergency I had treated at Kings College dental department, I have not been in the dentist's chair for just over 20 years now.

Hi scotsman44,

so sorry to read about your situation and even more that you think it was your fault. I don‘t think so! You know you are in a good company here and we do understand what a struggle it is to see a dentist ever again if you childhood dentists messed up..

Thinking of London I think of Welwyn Garden immediatelly, which is where Lincoln Hirst‘s practice (@drhirst ) is. I think it‘s not directly London, but very near. He is a member of our advisory board and also one of the most kindest dentists you could imagine and he is happy to talk to you via email or a phone if you do not feel like jumping into an appointment straight away. You can find him in the recommendation section here. And you can find an interview with him here.

We also have a recommendation section here on the forum and there are few listings for London, among others also Christopher Brown who we met on a conference this year. He works for two practices in London currently and is very interested in helping phobic people.

Thinking about it London is definitely one of the places where you surely will find someone nice!

Can‘t answer your question about the denture but hope a dentist replies to that soon.

How incredibly helpful and kind. Thank
You enormously

For No 2, it's hard to give you any solid information based on what you've already said, how many lower teeth do you have?
It sounds like you have a load of stuff called calculus (aka tartar) on your teeth, this is stuff that forms when plaque sits on the teeth for a while and gets petrified, it's a bit like stalagmites in a cave. It can be cleaned off pretty easily by a dentist, it doesn't mean you will necessarily need all your teeth out...

I don’t have any advice, but I do send encouragement. You can do this!

Scottsman44,

I also wanted to encourage you . I agree so much with Enarete, it really is hard to see another dentist or want to go when our childhood dentists really mess up.. My childhood dentist was also quite a bully and that is putting it very mildly.. I actually still have some bits of flashbacks even with the best of experiences the last few years.. I think with some positive experiences in the upcoming future you can gain that trust back little by little in the dental profession finding the right one who is compassionate and able to work with you in a kind and patient way.

Couldn't agree with Enarete more , I know I would go to Lincoln Hirst in a heartbeat if I wasn't across the big pond here in the US. Anyone would be blessed to go to him and sounds like there are other great choices as well in the nearby area.

Also wouldn't it be great if you did go in and Gordon was right and you really didn't need those lower teeth out after all. Its hard to face the potential news of your worries but it also might be relieving either way to get the peace. I really hope you get some good news and it doesn't come down to that. Either way, whatever news you get.. you have people here that can and will help support you each step of the way.. You are not alone.. :grouphug:

Hello all, and a massive thanks once again. Yes it does seem that the issue with my lower teeth ? is actually calculus as Gordon smartly identified. This has made my panic a little less crazy as I can see it’s not the bones crumbling under the teeth. My front teeth (approx 12 apart from two large molars still standing at the back) are ropey and decayed but I think it might hopefully not be as tragic an outcome as I’d feared. It’s still going to be a lot of work (and expense) but anything to avoid a lower denture is a bonus

Lower dentures are the most difficult ones to wear, so anything that helps avoid one is worth it. Keep us posted on how you get on.

So an update ... I did (do) indeed have a severe case of calculus. It was truly excessive. Little bits were coming away but as of last night almost half came off. Unfortunately the half that remains is jagged, deeply uncomfortable and showing no sign of loosening. The areas that have been revealed make me realise my gums have receded badly but at least none of the teeth are loose or showing signs of falling out straight away.
I have emailed Lincoln and hope to be in further contact with him. Still not convinced it won’t end up as denture but for now I am trying to tackle the nightmare a day at a time.
thanks all
Ian.

Hi Ian, thanks for the update and glad things are moving forward for you. Also glad you got in touch with Lincoln, I am pretty sure you will get amazing support there. Sending you good vibes and well wishes, do keep us posted and keeping my fingers tightly crossed for you not to get denture!

:grouphug:

Thanks for following up with us. I'm sure Lincoln will get you sorted out, getting over that first big hurdle of starting treatment is the hardest thing IME.
Slainthe Beatha :)

Hi everyone ... an update as you have all been so supportive and have made a real difference the last couple of weeks.

My 'mysterious growth' was indeed calculus. The final half that remained was driving me mad, and I knew it was loose, so I thre caution to the wind and gave it gentle nudges with my tongue every now and again for a coupe of hours. The whole thing finally came away on Wednesday afternoon. It was terrifying to see it outside of my mouth - a thick calcified lump about the size of two upper molars. How I have lived with double that on my lower palate for so many years is beyond me.

As you know my fear had been that the calculus was propping up my teeth and that, if it came away, they would be loose and falling out. It has turned out to be largely good news. They are all pretty solid - however the two at either end have exposure below the gum line, and the largest on the left appears to have broken away so is rather sharp and uncomfortable.

I am in message contact with Lincoln who has proven to be everything people have said, and more. When the latter lump of the 'growth' was bothering me, I did something I could never have imagined until now - I took a photo of my lower teeth and sent it to him. He was totally non-judgemental and although there is obviously a lot of work to do there he said this:

"From what I can make out looking at your photo, the outlook for your teeth is very promising. You should be able to avoid the lower denture you were dreading."

I know that this is just the beginning, and that I am still going to be terrified even going near a dental surgery for the first time in twenty years, but I am going to do it. I know it.

I would never have done any of this without your support. Thank you so much.

Love, peace and happiness

Ian.

Hi Ian, I am a long time lurker of this site and finally plucked up the courage to register today. Your post is very similar to my own situation and it has given me some hope and encouragement. I just wanted to wish you well and please update if you do visit the dentist and I have everything crossed that your teeth (and mine too) can be saved ??

Hi Ian, I am a long time lurker of this site and finally plucked up the courage to register today. Your post is very similar to my own situation and it has given me some hope and encouragement. I just wanted to wish you well and please update if you do visit the dentist and I have everything crossed that your teeth (and mine too) can be saved ??

i guarantee that you can do it. Feel free to message me directly if you need to ask more.

take care and all best and strongest wishes

Thank you so so much for your kind words. I’m not brave enough to make an appointment with the dentist yet ? but I have a dentist in mind and am psyching myself up to go in the new year ? your post made me feel a lot more hopeful and I look forward to seeing more posts from you with positive news. I hope your good news from the lovely dentist lifted a big weight from your mind ?

Just a quick note to say :welcome: RosiePosie! Lovely to read that you finally plucked up the courage to join us in the forum! Feel free to post, to vent, to open a journal or ask for support!

Hello Enarete :thankyou: so much for your warm welcome it is very much appreciated ?

Well done Ian.

Just for the benefit of others who may think the same as you... calculus does NOT support teeth, quite the opposite, the presence of the stuff actually causes more gum disease and makes the teeth get looser.
It's a rich haven for bacteria, which are the primary cause of the disease.

Back