• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crossbite?

M

MountainMama

When I was getting my implant put in, the surgeon was having me bite down first and he told the assistant that I had a bit of a crossbite. I was on nitrous at the time and so I didn’t really think about it other than, “huh, weird”. ?

I looked it up today, though, and it doesn’t make sense. Maybe I am misunderstanding what a crossbite is? I read that a tell tale sign is that your upper teeth are behind your lower teeth. Are they talking about molars? My bite has been off for years now with all the work I have had done. My front top teeth are definitely in front of my lower ones. They don’t even touch when I bite down.

I wouldn't worry about what your Dentist said about your cross bite. He probably is exaggerating. Nobody's teeth are even close to perfect. Everybody's Teeth are messed up one way or another. That's what make you You. There are no 2 people with the same bite just like DNA.

I have paid thousands to Dentists but I want anymore because I have Insurance that covers everything 100% now. Thank God.

Crossbite in a molar/premolar normally means that the upper tooth is inside the lower one slightly when you close, due to the upper arch being a bit narrower. It's not a big deal except in one specific circumstance which we don't need to go into just now, as your surgeon would have noticed it before.

Crossbite in a molar/premolar normally means that the upper tooth is inside the lower one slightly when you close, due to the upper arch being a bit narrower. It's not a big deal except in one specific circumstance which we don't need to go into just now, as your surgeon would have noticed it before.

Thank you, @Gordon that makes sense. My previous surgeon never said anything about it. This is the first I have ever heard it.
Would that possibly be why the implant seems to be a little more towards the inside of the gums? I noticed it seems “off center” a bit.

Also, do dentists get annoyed when patients ask questions like that? I was going to ask the surgeon about the implant placement at my follow up appointment, but I am worried it will make it seem like I don’t trust him. I do, I just am one of those people who are genuinely curious and like to know why things are done certain ways.

It's certainly possible, they'll want to get it as central as possible compared to the opposing tooth so that there isn't any sideways force on the implant (so far as they can manage it).

I can only answer for myself, no I wouldn't be the slightest bit annoyed, I'd be pleased that the patient was interested enough to ask questions. Apart from which, whose mouth is it and who is paying the bills? :)

It's certainly possible, they'll want to get it as central as possible compared to the opposing tooth so that there isn't any sideways force on the implant (so far as they can manage it).

I can only answer for myself, no I wouldn't be the slightest bit annoyed, I'd be pleased that the patient was interested enough to ask questions. Apart from which, whose mouth is it and who is paying the bills? :)
Thank you, as always! That makes me feel better. I will ask him about it when I go back.