• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crown falling out with tooth attached

N

nerpotivo

Hello! I had a problem today. My tooth crown fell out and the tooth is attached to it. I have a hole in my mouth where the tooth was. I'm guessing it's only the part above the gumline that's fallen out. I have no pain as of now, but it's very unsettling. The tooth already had a root canal before the crown was placed. Will the dentist be able to build the tooth structure above the gumline and put the crown back there? Or will I need to have a new crown placed? Or maybe something else? Thanks in advance!

How long ago was the root canal done and the crown placed? I had that happen to me years ago, and what had happened was that the tooth had been rotting under the crown for years (about 10?). Nothing could be done to save it, so I had an implant done.

It was done about 10 years ago maybe. But i've been going to regular dental check-ups, and I haven't had any pain in the tooth. So i'm guessing maybe the dentist has to see it and assess the situation.

Hi nerpotivo,
Yes, you are right the dentist needs to see it and assess it. The most important factor will be how flat the tooth is with the gum. If there is no natural tooth left to grip then the chances of saving the tooth are poor.
Teeth that have been root filled and crowned are often weak and brittle, and the situation you have with then tooth snapped off in the crown is quite common. They virtually never cause pain, so unless the gap is right in the middle of your smile it is not a major emergency. I doubt there was anything you or your dentist could have done to predict or cause this to happen.
It's what us Brits who watch too much american television call " a bummer".
Lincoln

Thanks for your reply! I really would like to save the tooth, so I would insist the dentist try and save it, even if temporary. I really don't want to make a bridge and ruin the two adjacent teeth. Hopefully dentistry is developed enough for my dentist to be able to fix this.

Back