• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crown feels high but they dont seem to think so

D

dawn1981

I got two crowns today and for some reason both of them were very high. Is that normal? My dentist ground them both down and the one felt fine but the other still felt a tad high and only on one side really. I feel like my bite is so weird from all the work i have had done. i swear i close my mouth differently now. I dont even know how to bite anymore and when they tell me to bite i cant bite the way i do at home when i am eating. I know its sounds weird but it's true. Anyway the dentist said it looked fine but now i am home and its driving me nuts. If i am just sitting around i dont notice it so much but if i move my mouth those teeth hit first, and if i am chewing gum on the other side it dosent hit like crazy, just a little on one side,. Do i go back and have them grind it down again? I am afraid if they grind anymore the crown will break. Can it?

In my experience, crowns often feel a little high at first, especially if you've just had a bunch of work done at once. And, it's also pretty normal to feel like your bite is all weird and to not be really sure where it actually is anymore. Typically when a crown replaces a tooth that had worn or broken down some, there's now tooth where there didn't used to be any, and that can throw you off a little.

My advice would be to give it a couple days, and your mouth will likely adjust and start to feel normal. If it doesn't, or if the bite starts to hurt, your dentist can easily adjust the bite again. You'd be surprised how very little the adjustment is, even if it feels like it must be off by a huge amount. Often just a single high spot of 1mm or so can throw things off, and these are easy to adjust without affecting the integrity of the crown.

One bit of advice: if you can, get the adjustment made without anesthetic. It's easier to find your natural bite when you're not all numb. The dentist will need to drill a little, but it will only be on the crown surface so there's no chance of pain.

Dawn, if the bite feels wrong then it is wrong. Return to the dentist and have it reviewed, Steve is right to say that this doesn't and shouldnt need anaesthetic, whats more you should test the bite satup not just lying back.
As little as 1/100 of a millimetre can throw your bite off and wierdly, the smaller the amount the more irritating it is.
Your bite MIGHT adjust if you leave it but this should be a planned thing not just random - if it doesnt adjust correctly you can get sensitivity or breakages on that tooth or other teeth. Trust me, bites are complicated and shouldnt be messed with. The adjustment you need should be pretty easy and is unlikely to jepordise your crown
rob

Thank you both, i am going back at 10:30 to get it right (hopefully) I was just worried because they already had to adjust it so much. I mean dang how much crown is left at this point? Yikes!:scared:

Definitely don't worry about the crown-- the corrections are very small. I've had a crown adjusted multiple times before we got it just right. (I'd had extensive rework on both the top and bottom, so it took a little doing to get the bight just right...)

So I got it adjusted again yesterday and it STILL feels weird. I didn't even sleep well last night because when I sleep I hold my teeth together very tight, almost clenching, I always do this. Anyway that tooth is hitting first before all others and it wakes me up all night. I was going to call them about it today but I don't have a babysitter and I already had to tale my 4 year old with me yesterday, so I am holding off until tomorrow to go back again. I am so frustrated and really worried about when we are going to hot the metal under the porcelain. I feel like im a the crazy one here and maybe it is all in my head because it feels mostly okay all day but I feel it hit when I eat on that side but just a tad.

I have one crown that I had adjusted at least half a dozen times over the period of a year, it still felt high even after one side was ground way, way down (it is a gold crown). The last time I went in, the dentist was teasing me about coming in so many times for adjustments, but the final adjustment actually fixed it. That last adjustment also caused an RCT tooth on the other side of my mouth to finally stop having biting pains after 10 months of pain (really, within about a day of the adjustment, all the sensitivity went away in the other tooth). So don't give up until it feels right! You aren't crazy! ;D

My preferred result is on the day the crown is placed the marks look fine and it feels fine to the patient . Sometimes the crown will feel tight between the teeth for about 1-2 hours.

I can understand one post insertion adjustment but not multiples that would be most unusual

Well I really think this dentist might not be the greatest. I was also looking at the reviews for this dentist too and saw someone say they had some problems with being overcharged. I then decided to look at my bills against my insurance and what it should cost for a crown and I think I am being very overcharged. So I am going back to get the crown adjusted again tomorrow and I am going to ask what the deal is with these charges.. I can say I don't have a lot of faith in this dentist at this point and think I will be changing dentists very soon. :( The problem is the good dentists don't seem to accept my insurance.

So I went back again and the dentist decided to shave down my tooth above the crown. I have heard this is not good, right? I do not think she shaved any of my actual tooth above but just some filling material, as my teeth are full of huge fillings. So it worked. I am just happy I am not hitting my teeth together anymore. But I am worried that she ground down my filling and possibly some of my tooth. I am mad in a way but don't know if I should be. I guess I am mad that this crown was such a poor fit to begin with and feel I deserved a new crown maybe. I will not ever be going back to this place as they have ripped me off too. I discussed the charges they charged me and showed them what my charges are supposed to be ( I had my insurance paperwork too back me up) and they didn't really argue with me but I they made a lot of excuses and it was all B.S. Anyway I am perplexed by all of this, was the shaving of my top tooth really that bad?

Dawn, if the bite feels wrong then it is wrong. Return to the dentist and have it reviewed, Steve is right to say that this doesn't and shouldnt need anaesthetic, whats more you should test the bite satup not just lying back.
As little as 1/100 of a millimetre can throw your bite off and wierdly, the smaller the amount the more irritating it is.
Your bite MIGHT adjust if you leave it but this should be a planned thing not just random - if it doesnt adjust correctly you can get sensitivity or breakages on that tooth or other teeth. Trust me, bites are complicated and shouldnt be messed with. The adjustment you need should be pretty easy and is unlikely to jepordise your crown
rob

Absolutely.

so what do you all think about her shaving down my upper filling in the opposing tooth though. I noticed she also got a little of my tooth not covered by filling material. I am never going back there that is all I know.

Back