• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crown fitting

M

mayze

Hi all now my extraction has healed enough i am off to dentist tuesday to have my crown fitted. I am terrified ? i am scared of possibility of needle although i’ve been told by receptionist that it will not be needed. I just wish i’d had the tooth extracted. Please someone give me some hope that local anesthetic isn’t that bad to have and crown fitting. I feel like i’m gonna chicken out and cancel it and i don’t want to after taking so long to get here!

Hi, deep breath. It’s not bad at all! Did they say they will be doing an impression for the fitting? Or is this your final crown to fit? I promise it won’t be bad.

All the impressions were done last time i think (not 100% sure as i was under sedation for tooth extraction). Tomorrow is just to have putty taken out and crown fitted. I’m absolutely terrified :(

I had two crowns fitted earlier this year after having root canals on the teeth - both upper molars. I didn't even need numbed. The crowns felt a bit weird at first, but even by the time I got home I was used to them. You will be fine!

Hi,

Form what you are telling us, I think that no anaesthesia will be needed.
I also think that only if you hear it from the treating dentist (by email or on the phone) then you will be certain and calm. Is that an option?

Thank you it’s nice to hear someone who has had a good experience with it. I am absolutely terrified of needles anyway and have never had them in my mouth only the other week but i was under sedation so don’t remember any of it. I am not sure if i can request that the dentist speak to me about it i feel a bit stupid asking too ?. I just wish i wasn’t such an idiot about the dentist

I am also really scared of needles (although actually not scared of the dentist!) so I sympathise. I had to have an MRI scan earlier this year relating to nerve issues in my teeth, and was really afraid I would need contrast dye, which is an injection/cannula. I got myself in such a tizz I was considering cancelling, but I ended up ringing them a few days before and asking on the phone. The woman I spoke to was really kind, and said people call and ask questions all the time. I actually didn't need it, but when I went to have the scan, it turned out the person I spoke to was the lady on reception, and she remembered me when I checked in and was very calm and reassuring.

Might you be able to ring into the surgery and ask if they can let you know whether or not you will need anaesthetic?

I have spoken to the lady on reception a few times and she has assured me that an anesthetic should not be needed at all. I suffer with anxiety anyway so that paired with my fear of dentist and needles i’m going loopy!

I am thinking of calling dentist in morning and seeing if i can postpone and be sedated again. I just don’t know if i can do it i’m freaking out. I’ve had my anxiety meds and it’s doing nothing to help at all. Feel like such an idiot.

Mayze

Do you think your dentist would react ok to you coming in and just trying to do it step by step and see what they say. Maybe they will not need to do the needle? and maybe they will have technique to really ease you regardless.? either way, just taking one step at a time and really communicating your deep fear of this. Do they know of the extent of your needle fear? or fear in general?

Fear of the unknown and needles are both really valid and hard.. so don't be harder on yourself.

Is this the same dentist you had for the extraction? and how did they treat you? I hear you were sedated but do you feel they understanding of your anxiety?

I don’t think i can go in and try as such. It’s a bit all or nothing i think. The dentist made me feel totally comfortable before i was sedated and i would be fine being sedated again but i struggle with so much in the dentist in general and with my anxiety so bad i can already feel the major panic. I want to run out of there and i’m not even in there yet! I feel like an absolute idiot i really do

The day is here, i am so so nervous. Does anyone know roughly how long this part takes? I’ve been told it’s just putty taken out and fit the permanent one. Maybe some filling of the tooth if needed but all prep done last time.

Please, do not feel like an idiot. I know how hard it is to stay confident and voice your needs if you are fighting your anxiety, but it is perfectly ok to do so.

Let me tell you one thing: your dental team doesn't know how you feel and what your anxiety is and they cannot read your thoughts. At the same time they would like to help you and do whatever you need to get the treatment. There are a lot of nervous patients and guess what, everyone is different and has different needs and different things that they need to feel more comfortable. Every good dentist will be more than happy to receive this information from you as it will do the treatment smoother not only for you but also for them! There is nothing worse than trying hard to put someone at ease and looking for things that work while the patient needs something absolutely different. And how frustrating is it if the patient knows exactly what she needs but doesn't voice it..

So if you know what would help you, please go on and let your dental team know. If you do not feel comfortable to do so via phone, you might email them. It's ok. It allows them to understand the grade of your anxiety and prepare the treatment and they should be happy to do so.

You are a champ and you got this. The most misunderstandings come from us not voicing our needs or making compromises. Telling what you need to feel less nervous is a good thing. I know you can do this.

Last piece of information: if you were sedated last time it is natural that you still feel anxiety. Dental fear gets less by you gaining trust in your dentist and you can only do so if you had treatment while conscious. Sedation is a good way to go if you can't get treatment otherwise, but it is a good thing to do further, smaller procedures without (or with sedation types that allow you to stay aware, as meds or nitrous). Do not worry about being nervous again and do not see it as a bad sign. Beating dental fear is a journey and appearing despite anxiety belongs to that in the first stages. It's a part of it, not a barrier to it.

Enarete thank you so much for making me feel more at ease. It’s already been such a hard journey to hear but although not much has been done it is a huge step in the right direction. I am feeling a little anxious still but more that i don’t know duration etc i am hoping it is a very quick appointment so i can get out of there! The staff have all been so reassuring and that has been a huge help.

Bad news i didn’t end up having anything done today as dentist was running so behind i have had to reschedule for monday. My partner takes me and he needed to get back to work and surgery was almost 2hr behind. Fingers crossed for monday now.

Sorry to read this, however well done on showing up. I will keep my fingers crossed for you on Monday. Keep us updated!

So sorry too Mayze,, hoping it will go well then for you.. keep us up to date..

So tomorrow is the day! I’m feeling nervous already but trying to keep calm. I just want it over quick and painless. Preferably with no needles either.

Sending you well wishes and good vibes. You got this! May all go smoothly and easily and needle-lessly.

Let us know how it went.

Sending you well wishes and good vibes. You got this! May all go smoothly and easily and needle-lessly.

Let us know how it went.

Thank you so much fingers crossed! I am just wanting it over with now. Hopefully it will be stress free and il gradually be able to deal with the dentist a little easier x

Back