• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crown lengthening Tuesday - question

V

Voyager

Hi,
I chipped a tooth, possibly on an almond. It's tooth #18, left lower back molar. (I don't have my wisdom teeth.) Anyway, before I can have a root canal or crown, I have to have this crown lengthening done.

So far, I've had positive experiences with all dentists involved. My question has to do with food. I know I have to eat soft food after the procedure for a while, and I understand why that's the case on the left side of my mouth. What I don't understand is why I have to do this on the right side of my mouth. Does using the jaw muscles on the right side also affect the left side, and if I'm chewing on, say, a piece of apple on the right, could that harm the left?

I'll be asking my dentist this on Tuesday, but I thought I'd post here as well. I realized I'm curious and interested about the rationale for soft foods on the right.

What if I cook an apple thoroughly so it's as soft as apples one would use for pie?

I'm used to eating an apple a day. Applesauce is kind of a poor substitute. I hate bananas, so those are out. I have some food allergies and intolerances and am also lactose-intolerant, so there are only so many foods I can eat.

Also, how long after the procedure before I can go back to eating my regular diet? (I'll ask my dentist this, too, but thought I'd post it here as well.) I eat mostly soft foods anyway (avocado, oatmeal, cheese (I can eat cheese), soft bread, almond milk, fish), but I do love lettuce, tomatoes, and apples.

In terms of general anxiety about the procedure, I'm extremely nervous and have been having trouble sleeping, but I'm also resigned to it. I know it has to be done. At this point, I just want to get it over with so I can start healing.

Thanks for reading and for any replies!

Mainly it's in case you forget mid chew and eat on the left side. There are going to be lots of small sutures in the area and the dentist wants them protected for a few days. Cut your apples up into small pieces and chew them very carefully (I also eat an apple a day!), just be mindful not to damage your new sutures.
Alternatively you could eat ripe pears or plums?

Hello Gordon,
Thank you very much for the reply!

The anxiety I've felt over food has rivaled the anxiety I've felt about the procedure, so knowing the "why" helps me feel better.

Thanks also for the pear suggestion. I hadn't thought of them. They tend to be too sweet for me, but I'll give them a try since they're certainly soft.

I had to go and buy some pears for my self yesterday :)

I can report that 2 golden retrievers can smell me biting into one from over 20 metres away and will come and practically sit on my lap till they get some :)

Back