• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crown margin

P

Patsyp

I had a crown placed on my bottom 2nd molar a year ago and just had osseous surgery and now it looks exposed on the inside of my mouth. Do I need to replace it again since gum has receded?
My periodontist dentist said it was fine since the tooth is sealed and has no sign of cavity.

Attachments

• 48E57678-9D39-447F-A90A-02E877EE1704.jpeg
    48E57678-9D39-447F-A90A-02E877EE1704.jpeg
    856.2 KB · Views: 28
I had a crown placed on my bottom 2nd molar a year ago and just had osseous surgery and now it looks exposed on the inside of my mouth. Do I need to replace it again since gum has receded.?
My periodontist dentist said it was fine since the tooth is sealed and has no sign of cavity.

One of mine is like that too done about 18 months ago so interested to hear the answer

Leave it alone, it's much healthier for your gums with the margins of the crown being up out of the way! No matter how good a fit a crown is, there's a microscopic gap between the crown and the tooth which can allow some bacteria to grow in it. Having the margin nice and visible and well clear of the gums is a good thing.

Often we put crown margins just below the gum for appearance sake, especially for front teeth, but it's great when we don't have to!

Leave it alone, it's much healthier for your gums with the margins of the crown being up out of the way! No matter how good a fit a crown is, there's a microscopic gap between the crown and the tooth which can allow some bacteria to grow in it. Having the margin nice and visible and well clear of the gums is a good thing.
Generally we put crown margins just below the gum for appearance sake, but it's great when we don't have to
Thank you so much for your reply I’ve been so worried about this one.

Thank you so much for your reply I’ve been so worried about this one.
Have you had any problems with the tooth since then.?

Have you had any problems with the tooth since then.?

No problems no. I just noticed I had a bigger gap than I thought I had in the beginning. I was worried about the bacteria getting it but looks like Gordon says it’s fine!

Back