• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

crown needed.

M

mrsemartz

Help! I don't know what to expect and I'm scheduled to have a crown done on April 4. Idk if I need a root canal or not (hoping not) and everything I've read online about it is scaring the absolute shit out of me. Any words of encouragement, advice would be appreciated

I've had 4 crowns (5 if you count the one I had redone last year). Can I ask what you're most afraid of?

I guess the whole process, idk what to expect, idk if I need a root canal, what if it fails?!? It's EXPENSIVE and the pain aspect...I may call them tomorrow and ask about nitrous in addition to novacaine. literally ANY help you can offer would be great

A crown is often done in two appointments. The first one is when the tooth is prepared for the crown and a temporary is put on and the second the temp is taken off and the permanent is put on. You should not feel any pain during either appointment. The first appt can feel long, but there's lots of time for breaks. The temporary can be a little uncomfortable just because they don't fit quite as well as the permanent. I've never had nitrous, but I have a lot of control issues and don't want to feel out of it, but many people say great things about it.

It's probably best to stay away from Google and come here with questions.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have. If you'd prefer to send me a messaged directly, feel free.

My dentist is able to do it in one visit, which is nice. I don't really have any specific questions, but if I think of any I'll message you. Thank you

Back