• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a dental problems forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crown on canine teeth

F

Flamingor78

Hi,

I just got implant on both my lateral incisors a month ago because they were rootcanaled and beyond repair. I am planning to also replace the crowns on centrals the same time when i got crowns on the implants.

My dentist suggested getting crowns on both my canines for aesthetics purpose. My canines are not balanced (in height) and one of them has shifted a bit. However I am having doubt on shaving these two teeth eventho both have fillings on them. I am hoping to get some input before getting my impressions sometime in January.

Thanks..

-Phobic but one step at a time.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Not sure what you want to know? Sorry if I'm being a bit stupid!

F

Flamingor78

Sorry Dr Gordon, it was midnight when I wrote my post 😅. I am having doubt about crowning my canines for cosmetic purpose since it will requires shaving down the teeth.

1. Does crowning the teeth affect its life expentency (vs non crowned tooth)? I wouldnt want to replace the crown every 10 years or so.

Thanks for answering this.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Does crowning the teeth affect its life expentency (vs non crowned tooth)? I wouldnt want to replace the crown every 10 years or so.
Yes it does, but the big question is by how much :) Answer is probably not a lot :)

It's unlikely that you'd need to replace a modern crown in 10 years.

Bear in mind that doing a crown prep is quite traumatic for the tooth, there's always a chance that it may become non-vital after (the nerve dies, leading to a root canal).

You need to weigh up the risks versus the benefits, is there a less invasive way to get the result you want, e.g. bleaching, composite build up, veneer etc instead of crowning.