• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crown panic

K

Katie7730

After needing a root canal in my upper left first molar I got the tooth crowned. This was almost 2 years ago (22 months). Last night I was flossing and noticed a bad smell in the floss coming from the crowned tooth. I gave it some extra cleaning with an interdental brush and went to bed. Today I have been very aware of a bad smell coming from the crowned tooth. I figured something may be stuck so I’ve been at it with the interdental brushes and floss all day to no avail. I’ve been in a sweat about it all day and figure it may be decayed underneath.
How likely is this in a 22m old crown? I have a good cleaning routine nowadays and always get told I am doing a good job by the dentist / hygienist .
I recently lost my job and I am now registered with an nhs dentist after being private for a few years. This crown is all porcelain which I know won’t be an option with nhs (unless I pay extra). Which type of crowns would be most likely offered on the nhs for a first molar if this thing needs to be replaced?
Thanks in advance

Hi Katie7730,
Decay would be most unlikely to cause the smell. It almost certainly the case that the smell was caused by either not cleaning between the teeth often enough, or, effectively enough.
This happened to me once, I was using interdental brushes on my upper right molar for years and then ran out so grabbed some floss and noticed a slight smell. This taught me the interdental brushes were not removing all the plaque. So I flossed that area instead, and withing a few days the the smell had gone. Now I alternate both methods in that area to maintain it.
Give that a go and I am sure you will find it improves , otherwise, get it checked by your dentist.

Hi Katie7730,
Decay would be most unlikely to cause the smell. It almost certainly the case that the smell was caused by either not cleaning between the teeth often enough, or, effectively enough.
This happened to me once, I was using interdental brushes on my upper right molar for years and then ran out so grabbed some floss and noticed a slight smell. This taught me the interdental brushes were not removing all the plaque. So I flossed that area instead, and withing a few days the the smell had gone. Now I alternate both methods in that area to maintain it.
Give that a go and I am sure you will find it improves , otherwise, get it checked by your dentist.

thank you for the reply. This is what I’m hoping for. I’ve been cleaning it a lot and I am still getting the bad taste and smell. My gums is hurting now so I need to lay off sticking stuff in there for the moment. I am at a new dentist next week so I will get it checked out. Hoping it is not an infection or something

Back