• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crown prep. on Jan. 14th, trying to remain calm but...

N

nutzforcats

I go for my dental crown on Monday, trying to remain calm but still am fearing it as I have to get numbed and wear the dental dam. I had the root canal in November and am glad that is over with, had the filling done in Dec. and no issues with either. I had a crown 3 years ago so that helps knowing what to expect. My dentist is allowing two hours to do the prep. and temp. crown but am hoping it won't take that long, will be glad to get it over and done. What should I ask esp. about after care? I need some support and encouragement as I don't have many friends esp. that understand about my dental anxiety. Thanks.

Hi there!
I had my first crown after a root canal last year. I did wear a dental dam for the actual root canal but it wasn’t needed for the crown so you may not necessarily need it for that part :confused:. I was numbed for the crown but not to the extent that I was for the root canal. It wore off much faster and was just all around more pleasant than when I was numbed for the root canal (I’m not exactly sure why that is but there was a clear difference). The only thing I can deduce is not as much numbing is needed because the tooth is already basically dead? I could be wrong about that though. I think mine took about 2 hours (maybe 1 hr 45 min). From what I recall there wasn’t any specific aftercare. I think I could floss and chew normally on it (even the temp crown). Most of my crown appointment was a bit of blur ...I just put on my headphones and tried to zone out for most of it. It sorta felt like a really long filling. You are through the worst of it and in the home stretch!

So, I've had I think 15 crowns or so, all my teethI have left are crowns. Usually after isn't too bad, maybe mild discomfort. but not too bad. The exception was when I had some gum recontouring as part of it then my gums were pretty sore after for several days which I took Hydrocodone for a few days after that. The only thing is the temps. you gotta be careful what you eat with that tooth and I always shifted the eating to other areas not by that tooth which can be weird. 2 hours is a good time for appt sounds like mine too. :) Hope things go well. Also I agree some anesthetic was given but didn't last over maybe an hour past my appt it wasn't bad at all. Let us know how things go for sure. :)

Ah yes! That reminds me...no sticky or hard foods til the permanent crown is on!

thanks for the information. I had read the numbing for a root canal can last longer. The pain I am worried about is my right sinus is congested and after my root canal the pain was bad and lasted afew hours after that I couldn't go to sleep for hours. I am using decongestant nasal spray and now steroid nasal spray due to a dry cough/nasal congestion so am hoping this cough will be better by Monday.:( I had a bad cold in Dec. and I still cough but not as bad as last month. I am trying to just know it will be over before i know it.

I forgot to mention, I am bothered by the noise of the drill that grinds down my tooth-I am going to take along my earbuds/music and also ear plugs and tell her last time that noise hurt my ears as I have sensitive hearing. Did you find the noise of the drill bad?

I forgot to mention, I am bothered by the noise of the drill that grinds down my tooth-I am going to take along my earbuds/music and also ear plugs and tell her last time that noise hurt my ears as I have sensitive hearing. Did you find the noise of the drill bad?

I am also not a fan of the drill (it is what I fear most). I actually discovered through the root canal/crown process that ear buds help me immensely. During the root canal I was given a movie to watch on virtual reality glasses with ear buds and during the crown I listened to music on my phone. It doesn’t completely drown out the noise but it distracted my brain by giving it something else to selectively attend to and I was definitely calmer as a result. Oddly, I seem to remember much less about the procedures when I use ear buds...so the distraction must be doing something! I never go without them now and wish I had tried them sooner. To me the drilling seemed longer and much more intense during the root canal than with the crown.

I recently had 2 crowns (2 different appointments) and its really not bad. There is some drilling, but they also do other stuff like measuring for the crown that they'll make you. They booked my first crown for 2 hours but it only took 90 minutes and it went by really fast. It wasn't like 90 minutes of drilling.. there was lots of other stuff going on that wasn't bad. Also, I didn't have to wear a dental dam for either crown prep. Afterwards, it wasn't really sore- perhaps just a little sore where they numbed me. I think the hardest part is being really careful when I eat, so I don't break the temporary off! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow- please update us with how it goes xx

I made it through! I was in the chair for 2 hours but not worked on for that long, my dentist left for 20 mins. to do something else while I was waiting to be numbed but that gave me time to breathe and think good thoughts. It was tough for the tooth prep. but she is calm and knew it was hard for me so helped me through it. the dental assistant is very nice and that helps me a lot too, sadly I've had her many times so she knows me and how I get stressed. I was glad when that was finally over and the rest was much easier.:) I am proud of myself and now just have to be careful so the temp. crown stays on for two weeks.

:jump::you-rock::welldone::bounces::yay::claps: Congratulations! You should be very pleased with yourself! It sounds like you have found a keeper in your dentist. I too prefer to have assistants that know me. I’d rather be a nervous wreck in front of the same people over and over again versus new people each time! I am and have always been a “brave-facer” so if I’m with people who have already seen me nervous, it takes a lot of pressure off of me.

yay!!!!! So glad everything went well and its in the past now!! It sounds like you did wonderful and even used the 20 minute wait time to work on staying calm instead of panicking. Thanks for the update!

unfortunetly my dentist is retiring this year, but I did have one visit with the dentist taking over her practice and she is calm so will be staying there-it's hard to find a dentist who understands you can't afford everything and to do only was is necessary but still cares about your teeth. I like my dental hygienist, Erin, so that makes it more manageable.

Go tomorrow for the temp. crown off and the permanent crown put on. Abit nervous about getting the temp. off but am trying to remain calm and at least this visit will be the last and a much shorter one.:) I remember the last temp. i had took awhile for them to get off but hope this one will be easier.

I was worried about that with mine too but it came off quick and easy with a little gentle tugging/twisting. I was surprised at how easily and comfortably it came off. Good luck! Almost done!

my temp. crown came off quick this time and it was an easy appt.-20 mins.:)I did it without numbing as I didn't want to be numb for 3 hours and to get my bite right, didn't hurt at all.:) The only thing is she had a Porcelain crown for a back, top molar and not sure it's going to last 5-10 years? My other crown is one with metal and on a bottom molar, which another dentist in her practice did. I know she wanted to save me money but never asked me which one I would've wanted. I wish I had asked but I had other important questions to ask as well.

Some of the porcelain crowns nowadays are really robust and can last a very very long time. It really depends on how you use your teeth though - if you clench or grind a lot, then gold (metal) or porcelain fused to metal is usually a better option. If you don’t clench/grind and you look after them, they could last a lot longer than 5-10 years!

i'm not sure if I grind my teeth at night but I don't have wear on my teeth but when I go for my cleaning I will ask and get my molars checked. I"m going to try to forget I have a crown so I don't obsess over it breaking or causing me trouble but still not eat too hard/crunchy foods on that side.

Back