• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crown prep pain and questions

K

Katie7730

I had a crown prep today on a root canalled tooth (lower molar). I had the root canal 2 years ago but I’ve been putting off the crown ever since due to anxiety, although fully knowing I need it because the tooth could fracture without it.
Anyway, I wasn’t expecting too much discomfort since the tooth isn’t vital. The root canal was done by an endo and still looking good on the X-ray today.
I’ve had a crown before (upper molar) and I can’t remember feeling much pain during the prep.
However , today I felt the drill on my gum and then there was a lot of blood. Then the dentist was trying to push some sort of weird tasting cord under the tooth, I asked what was happening and the dentist said to pull the gum back and separate the gum off, this was all very painful and the dentist gave me a top up anaesthetic.
So my questions please:
1. Is this a normal part of the crown prep as I don’t remember this cord pulling/ pushing / tugging before. I’d like to understand a bit more about what the dentist was doing here and why.
2. I’m now in even more pain since the anaesthesia has worn off, is there anything I can do to help this except regular painkillers ?
3. Is this just going to be gum / ligament pain ? There’s been no pain in the actual tooth since the root canal healed up 2 years ago,I’m hoping the crown prep is not causing the actual tooth to now be painful.

Feeling pretty stressed 🤔
Thank you in advance

1. Is this a normal part of the crown prep as I don’t remember this cord pulling/ pushing / tugging before. I’d like to understand a bit more about what the dentist was doing here and why.
Yes, it's called retraction cord. If the edge of the crown prep is below the gum margin then it needs to be put in to get a clear impression of the margin for the technician. It usually has some astringent in it to stop the gum bleeding.

2. I’m now in even more pain since the anaesthesia has worn off, is there anything I can do to help this except regular painkillers ?
Sorry, can't think of anything.

3. Is this just going to be gum / ligament pain ? There’s been no pain in the actual tooth since the root canal healed up 2 years ago,I’m hoping the crown prep is not causing the actual tooth to now be painful.
Gum pain mostly, possibly a bit of TMJ ache as well if you've had your mouth open very widely for a longer time than usual.

Thanks Gordon, makes sense. I think I wasn’t fully numb hence the pain with all the tugging about. It’s still a bit sore but less so than Tuesday night so hopefully it’s on the mend 🤞

Back