• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crown + RCT, 6 months, now pain

P

Prima

Hi! I fractured a lower molar and got a crown a bit over 6 months ago. Pain continued just weeks following the crown and I ended up getting a RCT through the crown. A porcelain-like material was used to fill the hole in the crown from the RCT.

It has been a bit over 6 months ago that all of this happened. Everything has been great, but out of the blue I've had immediate sensitivity to biting and prolonged sensitivity to hot/cold. It seems to not be getting worse, but it is NOT getting any better... I've had this about a week now and I'm now starting to have to gear my meals toward soup as I'm just tired of the pain.

I'm assuming an infection? Thoughts on the success rate of trying a RCT for a second time? Maybe my filling/crown need adjusting? I can't even imagine an extraction!?!? :o

Thoughts on what my dentist will suggest/recommend? Should I just make an appt with my endodontist that did the RCT?

If you have cold sensitivity on the tooth that had a root canal then they missed a canal. You should feel nothing when it comes to hot and cold on that tooth period.

You said the tooth is fractured? If thats the case, I always thought the tooth must be pulled. Find it odd that he didnt see a cavity in the tooth before putting a crown on it.

I have excellent dental hygiene and take pride in the praise my dentist gives me during my regular cleanings. My fracture was due to a tongue ring many years ago. My dentist always warned me of the danger with the tongue ring, but being young I "knew it all" and didn't take his advice. I've always strongly warned people now when I see the tongue ring. My particular molar that was seriously fractured is just one of the few teeth... I have several teeth with hairline fractures that increase sensitivity. Tongue rings do massive damage to your teeth and gums you may not immediately see or feel, but give it a few years.

Any who, the dentist thought a crown would be best given the location of the fracture and what was salvageable of the molar. It wasn't clear how far down the fracture was, so given continued pain once I had my permanent on, the RCT was recommended.

Given my current pain seems to be located right under my crown, I assume there is the possibility of the RCT not being a 100% success. However, once my RCT was done, I have not experienced any sensitivity or pain until just a week ago. After my continued reading online, I wonder if bacteria somehow penetrated my crown and caused an infection. I don't see anything visibly wrong with my crown or gum line, all is perfectly pink and there is no swelling... Just pain with any pressure. o_O

If you have cold sensitivity on the tooth that had a root canal then they missed a canal. You should feel nothing when it comes to hot and cold on that tooth period.
You said the tooth is fractured? If thats the case, I always thought the tooth must be pulled. Find it odd that he didnt see a cavity in the tooth before putting a crown on it.

Go back to the endodontist- I'm not a dentist but could be more than just a missed canal causing pain including a new infection from a leak, a crack further in the tooth than originally thought, or maybe even referred pain from another tooth. Sometimes the deep gum tissue can get irritated enough to hurt just like a toothache, for instance getting a popcorn kernel stuck down in between the tooth and gum can cause a periodontal infection. Try salt water rinses until the dentist can check it out again. He may want to do a pulp vitality test that will tell you if the tooth still has any nerve tissue left

rp

Thoughts on just something as simple as the cold weather change? Perhaps 6 months isn't long enough for the crown to "set"?

Back