• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

crown redo and tmj pain?

A

amicx92

Hi, all! I'm a "semi-recovered" phobic. I posted here last summer about my ongoing troubles with an infected tooth and going through that helped calm my fears a little! But after my last visit this past week, some of the fears kicked back in after I started feeling some pain.

I had to get an old crown replaced last week. My dentist had to prep it a little more and build up the tooth before placing my temp. He also reshaped the tooth beneath it a bit so they wouldn't hit together as much. I had some mild discomfort the next day, but it cleared up. Over the weekend, I started feeling pain in that tooth, surrounding teeth, and the tooth directly below it (the one he filed down a bit.) My gums are definitely still a bit sensitive too. I had an x-ray done last week and they found no problems with my teeth, but I do suffer with severe TMJ. I called the office and was prescribed a muscle relaxer which sometimes I'm given after procedures because my jaw can be sore for a week or two after procedures, depending what it is.

It's not horrible pain, just some mild discomfort. I think I'm a little spooked because this time last year my "TMJ issues" turned out to be an reinfected root canal! But the pain I had with my abscessed tooth was obviously a million times worse. I was just wondering if some discomfort after a crown prep a week later sounded normal? The office didn't seem too alarmed when I called and I get my permanent next week, so I'll definitely be letting him take a look just to ease my fears. :)

In the words of Tom Jones "It's not unusual" :) Sometimes changing the bite around can provoke some symptoms, the gums can be a bit irritated by the impressions sometimes as well.

In the words of Tom Jones "It's not unusual" :) Sometimes changing the bite around can provoke some symptoms, the gums can be a bit irritated by the impressions sometimes as well.

Thank you for putting me at ease! I went and got the final crown placed. I'm still feeling a little sore, but it's getting better! Here's hoping that'll help some :)

Hi, all! I'm a "semi-recovered" phobic. I posted here last summer about my ongoing troubles with an infected tooth and going through that helped calm my fears a little! But after my last visit this past week, some of the fears kicked back in after I started feeling some pain.

I had to get an old crown replaced last week. My dentist had to prep it a little more and build up the tooth before placing my temp. He also reshaped the tooth beneath it a bit so they wouldn't hit together as much. I had some mild discomfort the next day, but it cleared up. Over the weekend, I started feeling pain in that tooth, surrounding teeth, and the tooth directly below it (the one he filed down a bit.) My gums are definitely still a bit sensitive too. I had an x-ray done last week and they found no problems with my teeth, but I do suffer with severe TMJ. I called the office and was prescribed a muscle relaxer which sometimes I'm given after procedures because my jaw can be sore for a week or two after procedures, depending what it is.

It's not horrible pain, just some mild discomfort. I think I'm a little spooked because this time last year my "TMJ issues" turned out to be an reinfected root canal! But the pain I had with my abscessed tooth was obviously a million times worse. I was just wondering if some discomfort after a crown prep a week later sounded normal? The office didn't seem too alarmed when I called and I get my permanent next week, so I'll definitely be letting him take a look just to ease my fears. :)

how did this settle? I have a similar issue and was told by Endo it is not an infected root canal, which I thought it was based on my dentists opinion. My endo believes it is tmj/TMD

Back