• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Crown

L

lleigh26

Hi

I’m An Extremely Nervous Patient & I Have A Half Cracked Upper Molar.. Most Of The Tooth Looks Great & It Would Of Been 3rd From The Back Including Wisdom Tooth But Thats Gone.. From What I Can Tell.. It Would Be Suitable For A Crown But Last Time I Went To A Dentist.. She Wasn’t Very Helpful & Just Wanted To Extract The Tooth ( Different One ) How Will I Know If This Tooth Is Suitable Because I Really Want To Avoid Extraction If Possible..?
Thank You.. Laura

L

lleigh26

I’ve Managed To Get A Pic Of The Tooth Thats Giving Me Problems Every Now & Then.. Would This Tooth Be Possible For A Crown..? I Really Don’t Want An Extraction!! The Thought Terrifies Me.. Please Help!! 🙏AE546598-FCC3-4182-9D6A-BF59E3ECB07D.jpeg

Attachments

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Hard to say from the photo but it doesn't look great I'm afraid.

L

lleigh26

Ahh Okies.. May I Ask Why..? As I’ve Seen Some Pictures Of Teeth On Here That Have Less Tooth Available To Attach Too That Have Been Ok For A Crown.. Just A Bit Worried As I Do Not Want An Extraction.. 😔 xx

T

TKB1974

I’m not a dentist so I cannot speak to your personal situation, but I had a pretty good sized portion of a lower molar that broke. I thought for sure it would need to be extracted. In fact, I panicked about it for years and avoided the dentist. Fast forward to last month, turns out I need a root canal due to an infection, but the tooth was able to be saved & a crown can be placed. Hopefully the same is true for you. I just wanted to let you know that there is hope. I would say (for reference) a good 1/4 of my molar broke off. Best wishes for good news.

L

lleigh26

That Is Brilliant News.. Thank You For Your Reply.. That’s Why I Need.. Hope!! I’m Extremely Nervous As It Is So I Would Much Rather Have Any Other Work Done Other Than An Extraction.. 🙏 Hopefully I Can Get Something Sorted.. I’m Glad Yours Went Well.. 😊 I’m Only 30 But Sometimes I Wish I Had No Teeth As The Fear I Get Takes Over My Whole Life When I Have Dental Problems.. My Mind Can’t Concentrate On Anything Else!! Xx

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
It doesn't look great because the fracture line has (as best I can see) gone down a fair bit below the gum margin. That's usually pretty bad for the longterm survival of the tooth.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Yes that bit.

You can't tell how bad it is from a photo, my best guess is that it's not great but I'd be happy to be wrong :)

L

lleigh26

Thank You For Your Reply.. Hopefully You Are Wrong As I Do Not Want It Out.. 😞