• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crowns acidentally pulled out during impression for crown on adjacent tooth

A

Aria22

Hello, really could use some advice for this issue. I have two older crowns that were pulled free during the process of making an impression for a crown on an adjacent tooth. During the entire process the dentist has had to make a total of 5 impressions. 3 on the first visit... guess it took a few to get it right? Then another 2 when I went in to have the permanent crown placed. Unfortunately, it was fabricated too short at the gum line so she said lets take another impression and send it to the lab... I agreed. She proceeded to take two more. I have no idea why. She made no mention or even the slightest hint that the impression did not come out well. It was during the last impression, when she removed the hardened tray from my mouth and made a sort of gasp, then very briefly showed me the tray my crowns still embedded- I am sure I looked horrified. She made a comment that she will clean the area and "temporarily" place them back then promptly left the room. She never returned. Instead had her assistant replace them. They didn't feel quite right but it was hard to tell while i was in the chair. I saw the dentist only once more that visit. She was sitting behind the front desk as I approached to book my next appointment. I asked her if she could put the crowns back more permanently, she said "no, they will have to be replaced". I told her I understood they were older and I would eventually like to get them remade but financially this would have to wait. She just nodded, "I understand". I asked her how long I can expect this temporary fix to last and what to do if they fell out. These are front teeth we are talking. She suggested (in a whisper) I pick up "that stuff for dentures". I left frustrated and confused. The crowns popped free later that evening. I have put them back as best I can but am finding that the temporary crown she fashioned is in the way of a better fit. Its really upsetting. I am not opposed to new crowns but I need much work done and replacing them falls low on that list.

My question is, Why is it not possible to put them back more permanently? They are not broken and fit over the posts. Also, would waiting the next two weeks with them not quite where they used to be cause any problems or keep them from being put back as they were?

I know I should have asked her these questions but she poofed. I didnt feel like asking while at the front desk. People in the waiting room- her whispered comment. It just didn't happen. I'm questioning whether I should continue to see her. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Re: Crowns acidentally pulled out during impression for crown on adjacent tooth

Never good when you can't get a straight answer.
Usually when a crown falls off we clean it up and figure out why it happened. Typical causes are build-up of tooth failed, recurrent caries, and short non-retentive crown. 2/3 of the reasons will require replacement. An impression should never pull loose a good crown.

Re: Crowns acidentally pulled out during impression for crown on adjacent tooth

Never good when you can't get a straight answer.
Usually when a crown falls off we clean it up and figure out why it happened. Typical causes are build-up of tooth failed, recurrent caries, and short non-retentive crown. 2/3 of the reasons will require replacement. An impression should never pull loose a good crown.

Thank you for your reply Dr. I appreciate your input. I am sure most crowns can withstand the process of making impressions. She did so many though. It's been a long time since I had one done. I don't recall the material being so difficult to remove but they (both my dentist and her assistant) seemed to struggle to remove the mouth tray. Is there more than one way to make an impression? Are there different materials to do such?
Thank you again!

Ack! This is a fear of mine. Having had tooth #7 extracted and the front tooth being an older crown, I worry that impressions could pull it free. Pulling the impression out always seems so much pressure is needed to pull it out once it's ready. Is there anyway Dentist can inspect and be sure they won't pull other crown free BEFORE impression is taken again?

The tooth i had extracted already was an older crown (same age as adjacent one) that broke off unexpectedly so i have no idea how strong adjacent one is.

This did happen to me one time.. an ajacent crown came off during impressions. it was a little frightening for a moment .. then my dentist said.. well if it was loose enough to come off , its a good thing it did and we are right here to permanant cement this in to stay. So I guess that made sense. He was quite calming and added a bit of humor to a little shocking situation. Its still in that was over 10 years ago . I"m wondering if they maybe able to use a different impression material too to lessen the chances if its a concern at all? just a thought.

This did happen to me one time.. an ajacent crown came off during impressions. it was a little frightening for a moment .. then my dentist said.. well if it was loose enough to come off , its a good thing it did and we are right here to permanant cement this in to stay. So I guess that made sense. He was quite calming and added a bit of humor to a little shocking situation. Its still in that was over 10 years ago . I"m wondering if they maybe able to use a different impression material too to lessen the chances if its a concern at all? just a thought.

thank you for the reply! I had thought that as well. If it's that loose, probably best it happen there than out in public, or when i cant get to a dentist quickly. I had hoped the tooth i had extracted was only going to need a permanent cement fix, as well, but.....yeah. So hopefully if it DOES come out with mold, then THAT tooth will just need the cement. Thank you again!

(and amen to the different impression material. Always so hard to yank out lol)

I was always afraid that crowns (or teeth), would come away in the impression tray, but luckily, it never happened. I never liked the argument by the dentists though, that if the tooth was in bad shape, and came out that way, it clearly would have needed work soon anyway. The reason I didn't like their argument, was because I could never afford a great deal of work, so keeping what was left of my teeth was very important to me, so even a few years more with any given crown (or tooth), meant a lot!

I hear you on that little Lynnie.. any bit of time is a blessing.. even a week , or a month, for sure a year or so ..any bit of time.

I am surprised that the temporary cement didn't last longer. I had a temporary crown in for 8 months without it even coming loose.

I am sorry you have to deal with this. I hope they can get you in sooner than 2 weeks!