• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Crowns and Root canals oh my!

S

Sarah77

Hey all! My dentist put four crowns across my front teeth In May. because of cracks — preventative and thought it would be best to do it now in case they were to crack further down the road. I ended up needing a root canal this last week on number 10 because it seemed that the crown irritated the nerve and it was just done.

but now I am in a state of panic and cannot stop pressing on the other crowns to see if they are okay. And now they are all achy. What are the odds the other three need root canals, now, too? Or is my pressing On them so much causing them to be sore?

help! I’m so scared! I mean, what are the odds that four crowns in a row would need root canal treatment? Or is it maybe my bite?

Last edited:
Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Pretty unlikely that they would all need RCT at the same time, yes your bite could well be the root cause here.

S

Sarah77

Thanks, Gordon! This is super reassuring. I’ll STOP pressing on them to test them and get in to the dentist for an adjustment — as soon as I’m back from vacation. We are in a cabin in the woods in the middle of nowhere for the next two weeks. Of COURSE this is when I start to worry about my teeth. ;) I’ve had the crowns since the beginning of May and they have been fine. But he adjusted the left side once I had the root canal and maybe that threw off the Three teeth on the other side. And I need to stop irritating them by pressing and pushing. I have also found that I’m clenching a lot to see if there’s pain that way. I Should stop doing this, too. It’s just hard to do when you’re worried!

Last edited:
T

thisisme

Thanks, Gordon! This is super reassuring. I’ll STOP pressing on them to test them and get in to the dentist for an adjustment — as soon as I’m back from vacation. We are in a cabin in the woods in the middle of nowhere for the next two weeks. Of COURSE this is when I start to worry about my teeth. ;) I’ve had the crowns since the beginning of May and they have been fine. But he adjusted the left side once I had the root canal and maybe that threw off the Three teeth on the other side. And I need to stop irritating them by pressing and pushing. I have also found that I’m clenching a lot to see if there’s pain that way. I Should stop doing this, too. It’s just hard to do when you’re worried!
I did something very similar. I had four fillings on one side and started to test/push on them because one was bothering me. By the time I was done, I couldn’t eat on any of them. Even chewing on my good side hurt because it caused the teeth on the bad side to hit each other, which hurt. I was so mad at myself. He did a bite adjustment, which has seemed to help. I’m extra careful still but I’m able to chew again and I’m doing everything in my power to not test them and just eat normally. It’s so hard, though. I get it! Hopefully you can get a bite adjustment soon after you get back!

S

Sarah77

Thisisme— why why why do we do stuff like that?! How long would you say it took for things to feel “normal”?

T

thisisme

Thisisme— why why why do we do stuff like that?! How long would you say it took for things to feel “normal”?
Because we are crazy! Haha. As soon as I left the office, I could bite down on the side. We did several tests in office to make sure I could. It’s only been about 5 days. I’m chewing food on this side now but I’m still careful. I don’t want to aggravate it, though I’ve been eating no problem. I was just so miserable last weekend when I hurt them that I figure it’s better to be cautious.

I had 4 new fillings and 3 redone close together, so I really think in my case, there’s this new normal I’m adapting to. I’m also a unique case where my bite has always been off and I’m seriously considering orthodontics, because getting my bite right currently is such a challenge.

S

Sarah77

Hey all! I had root canals last Wednesday evening (nine days ago) on teeth 10 and 11. Number 10 was done through a crown. The teeth seem to be slowly getting better but they are still a bit sensitive to pressure when I tap on the teeth and a little achey in general. Dentist said x rays look good.

Is this still in the “normal” range of recovery? I think I may be making it worse because I keep tapping and pressing to test it. I’m guessing that’s not helping?

Last edited:
Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Tenderness on biting just after a root canal is so common I'd almost be worried if it didn't happen. It's down to all the grubbing about in the canal during the RCT. Should go away in a few more days.

S

Sarah77

Thanks, Gordon! Nine days seemed like a long time but I guess two root canals made my mouth pretty angry at me. ;)

S

Sarah77

is there a time frame when it seems like they have been sensitive for too long? It isn’t tenderness on biting but on pushing/ tapping pretty good with my fingernail.

I wake up and they don’t feel anything — normal like other teeth. And then I start pressing on them to test them over and over again throughout the day and I make them sore all over again. I’m so terrified I’m gonna lose these teeth that I’m certain I’m slowing the healing process.

S

Sarah77

Now I sound like a crazy person. ;)

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Couple of weeks isn't unusual, sometimes it can take a bit longer, depends on how long things take to heal up.
Poking it won't make it worse, but it will make you more aware of it...

S

Sarah77

You’re amazing. Thank you!

S

Sarah77

Last question. Promise. How would you know if it were a fractured root? What are the symptoms?

L

loopylass

Good to hear you’re improving Sarah. I had root canal the day after you and have the same tenderness when I apply pressure - so I’ve been making a real effort to stop ‘testing’ it so it can heal - helps to know I’m not the only one - good luck with yours, and thank you Gordon for your reassurance

S

Sarah77

Loopy Lass! Isn’t it nice to know we aren’t alone in our fears? Everything online says “1-2 days” so I was in a bit of a panic. My tooth is basically fine (albeit a little achy) but then I keep pressing on it to test it and keep getting a kind of zing-y response. I really just need to leave it alone.

S

Sarah77

I’ve been so fearful of a cracked or fractured root that I think I’m in panic mode.

L

loopylass

I agree - I felt inadequate because it didn’t feel right in couple days because as you say, that’s what most people experience. I’m a worrier and been fretting that it will fail, I’ve even been reading about dentures lol

S

Sarah77

Oh goodness, me, too!! What does your tooth feel like when you tap on it?

L

loopylass

Well ive just tried and it feels ok, for me it’s when I push with my tongue that it feels tender. But I think it’s very gradually improving, I’m not eating that side as I have a temporary crown on - dentist said I could eat gently but I’d rather rest the tooth for now