• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

crowns for cosmetic reasons

S

scaredkay

I have got an appointment next wednesday to see about having crowns fitted to my front top 8 teeth. I was told by a previous dentist that i could not have veneers as i have had fillings in some of my front teeth and they would not stay on. So he told me that crowns would be better suited.

I have hated my teeth for so long i now think its time to do something about it.

What i wanted to know is:-

With crowns can the dentist make my teeth straight?

Will they be a colour that i would be happy with?

I dont want that black line above the crown line, what cement should i say i want?

Will they look as nice and good as veneers?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks kay

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
1) Yes, within reason. If the teeth are badly crooked then orthodontics first is needed.

2) Should be, yes. There's been a lengthy thread on here about that before.

3) Black line is nothing to do with cement. It would take way too long to explain here, ask your dentist, you're presumably paying him/her plenty for their expertise, take advantage of it.

4) Yes

L

littlestar88

Hi
My sister got a crown for half her front teeth which she knocked out playing touch rugby rather too agressively!
It looks just like the rest of her teeth and there is no black line. It was even strong enough for her to have braces!
The only down side is if she choses to whiten her teeth dramaticalyy (which she is due to antibiotic staining as a child) she may have to get it replaced with a whiter crown, considering her crown wont whiten so will be yellower than her other teeth. So just check this with your dentist if you do plan on whitening. But apart from that I cant see any problems.

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
If you're looking for a great result, ask your dentist for before-and-after shots of crowns he has done before. For something like this, I would probably recommend shopping around a bit. The result will to a great extent depend on the dentist's skill. As you're spending quite a bit of money, you'll want to be happy with the result first time round.

I'm not usually a big fan of "cosmetic dentistry" (with all the marketing hype that surrounds it), but there is a UK website which deals with this topic (it has been set up by a group of cosmetic dentists, so obviously they advertise their own services on that site). You can find it here: http://www.cosmeticdentistryguide.co.uk/
The site also has a forum.

You may also want to get a second opinion re. veneers. It might be possible to achieve the effect you're after by combining orthodontics with veneers. Veneers are kind of fiddly to get right and do require additional training, so some dentists might recommend crowns where veneers might do the trick.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Veneers don't do so well on heavily filled teeth, that's probably why the dentist has recommended crowns. They also don't require any specific "further training" Let's :)

Don't go by brand names, one technician's Lava crown can be worse than another's metal based one for instance.

S

scaredkay

Thanks for the replies.

I have done nothing but think about it for a few yrs now and its something that i really feel stongly about. I have hated my teeth for so many yrs now and i just want to be happy and have a smile instead of hiding it.

When i ask can crowns straighten teeth, in my case my teeth sort of go in slightly to an angle, so they are not perfectly straight round if you know what i mean:redface: they are quite straight. I was wondering if they could make them perfectly round.

This is going to be the only time im going to look forward to seeing the dentist lol. Roll on wednesday:jump:

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Veneers don't do so well on heavily filled teeth, that's probably why the dentist has recommended crowns. They also don't require any specific "further training" Let's :)
Uhm, "require" is the wrong word... in my opinion, further training would be *useful* (that's just based on my subjective impression of piccies posted on DentalTown... and reading some threads by dentists who were at the end of their tether because their veneers don't work out). Unless you disagree with the terminology (it's probably called something like continuing professional development :p). Or maybe it's something you can learn from a book?
Agree with the first sentence though :).

Last edited: