• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

crowns/sedation

G

Former Member
hi all. am new to this board and am glad i found it!

plucked up the courage to visit a dentist about 5 weeks ago, a lovely young dentist who has a beautiful waiting room. Cant believe how thisgs have changed since i last went to the dentist (about 12 years?!!)

Basically one of my front teeth broke and i had to do the inevitable. God, i was so scared / embarassed about the state of my teeth - i am always checking other peoples teeth out! anyway, i am going in on 13 june for a couple of fillings and 4 crowns on my front teeth. have aslo had a course of whitening which has made a huge difference. Am so nervous about having this work done, but on the other hand cant wait because i know i will have a (hopefully) lovely smile afterwards. i am just a bit scared about how they will look tho, and if they will fall out easily . btw i will be in twilight sleep which i am also a bit scared about!!!! any reassurance would be greatly appreciated. Sorry this is long, i always witter on when i am nervous!

oh, and i see Gordon is from Troon - fellow troonite here too!

Small world, eh? ;D It's great to hear you're happy with your new dentist [image] - well done!!

About the conscious sedation ("twilight sleep" is a bit of a misnomer, really - you will be awake and able to communicate, you just may not remember very much about it afterwards): what exactly are you scared of?

I'm sure your fellow troonite will be able to answer your questions about crowns as soon he drops in :).

Welcome to the board!

Crowns don't usually fall out without some major provocation, I can't remember the last time I recemented one of mine.

Who is describing sedation as "twilight sleep" round here, seems a very american expression?

Hi, thanks for the replies. The twilight sleep is how is is advertised on the brochure the dentist gave me. I live in the channel islands where al lot of the dentists seem to be australian, i dont know if the expression is used over there?

Basically, i am just have hated the thought of going to the dentist for so long, and have talked myself even more scared (if that makes sense). i do however feel better now that i have seen how comfortable the surgery is and how lovely the staff are. it is just the noises and the smell, i cant really explain, as i dont remember having a truly bad experience before to pinpoint any fear on. But i amscared that i may also become a bit obsessive too once everything is done - probably not a bad thing, but i know i will never leave it so long again. the whole lot is costing me over 5000 so that at the moment is upsetting too! But i have been sensibly told by Bob my dentist, that my teeth are an investment, and can be saved, and i know he is right. anyway, i am rambling again, so thanks for the replies again. i will try and keep my mind focused on pleasant things until my treatment starts!

That would explain it, I just assumed you were going to a dentist in Scotland. :)

Good luck with the treatment.

HI all. have had all my dental work completed without hitch (apart from one of my crowns cracking in transit from UK) which delayed treatment by 3 days. But what is 3 days in the grand scale of things!!!?? everything was absolutely fine andi now have a gorgeous white smile and i am over the moon. wish i had done it sooner. But its all complete and the dentist wants to see me in 6 months for a clean etc!! and i will go without any fear because they have been superb, kind and patient and put me at complete ease. :jump:

Way to go!!! :jump:

Thanks for coming back here and giving us an update on your treatment. It really helps to see that other have gone for treatment - AND IT TURNED OUT ALRIGHT :cloud9:

Really pleased for you that you found a dentist that you feel comfortable with and are happy with the result.

G.