• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crowns Vs Root canals with crowns

K

KylalaKitty

what kind of case would it be if a tooth needed a crown but not a root canal with it?. I have a painful tooth and the dentist wants to put a crown on it. How is that suppose to help? It doesn't take tooth pain away, right? Has anyone have crowns?

what kind of case would it be if a tooth needed a crown but not a root canal with it?. I have a painful tooth and the dentist wants to put a crown on it. How is that suppose to help? It doesn't take tooth pain away, right? Has anyone have crowns?

I was told my tooth should have been crowned. not root canaled because the root is alive and because there is no additional decay, and there was no pain until I let the dentist fill it. a root canal is needed when the nerve is dead or dying a crown is needed if there is very little tooth structure left and you get a very large filling or if a tooth is cracked. you could have pain from a crack and the crown would cover it and hold your tooth together and stop it from cracking further. that is my understanding of it.

Hi kylalakitty,

Crown would work as well if there is no pulpal involvement, by that I meant decay hasn't reached the pulp yet, however a good seal is required to prevent nutrient supply to the bacteria

For more information you can google the "hall technique"

Back