• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crowns

P

psyche-

Hi all. It's been years since I was last here! I need six crowns now on the front six teeth (cosmetic and to protect some root canals) I've decided to switch dentists to a practice that uses digital Impressions, so that's one major fear gone. The only fear left? The time it takes! I have a heart condition and can't lay down for long without punishment. Also, just real anxious about being stuck there for hours!

Is there any way to get this done in stages or am I kind of stuck? How long would I really be looking at for six teeth to be prepped?

Is there any way to get this done in stages or am I kind of stuck? How long would I really be looking at for six teeth to be prepped?
Depends... crowns are made from porcelain powders which can subtly vary in shade between batches. A bit like wallpaper used to be (don't know if it's still the same!). You might find that your crowns aren't all exactly the same if you have them made in batches. Technically there's no reason why it can't be done that way, with that one caveat.

Can't answer the second bit, varies massively between different dentists and different teeth.

Depends... crowns are made from porcelain powders which can subtly vary in shade between batches. A bit like wallpaper used to be (don't know if it's still the same!). You might find that your crowns aren't all exactly the same if you have them made in batches. Technically there's no reason why it can't be done that way, with that one caveat.

Can't answer the second bit, varies massively between different dentists and different teeth.
Thank you for the reply Gordon. I wouldn't really mind a subtle shade difference so I'll discuss with the new dentist. Thanks for the help.

Back