• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crumbling teeth at the gumline

B

bspsl

I have four teeth that have been slowly crumbling at the gum line for a few years, creating a bigger and bigger hole in my teeth. I know I should have gotten them looked at way before now, but for various reasons, I've been avoiding it. Except I don't think I can avoid it any longer and I'd like to be prepared before going in to get them looked at.

It's two of my left canines teeth (one bottom and one top) and my two back molars (one on each side). I attached a Google image similar to my problem. Today my back right molar started to really go, and it's what made me think I can't put the off any longer.

So I'm mostly asking what I can maybe expect to happen when I go to the dentist. There's never been any pain, so I don't think my roots are exposed or anything, but the holes are pretty noticeable. I'm mostly concerned about my front teeth for obvious reasons, and I'm worried the teeth will have to be removed or something drastic. Is there any chance they'll just be able to fill the holes in with something? Or add a cap over it?

Thanks for any answers or advice anyone can share.

Attachments

• N1BmC5N.jpg
    N1BmC5N.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
My worst cavity is on my front canine and looked slightly less drastic then the pic. It was less area but darker fairly deep. Mine was considered a cavity. If the amount of filling needed is over 50% of tooth mass it's billed as a crown. I guess overall the procedure is called a class 5 restoration if you want to google some more. Mine was filled using a composite and looks darn good.

I personally wouldn't describe that pic or my old cavity as crumbling but since you did use that word I had an experience where I would use that terminology. The one missing tooth I have seemed to have went from missing a fourth of the tooth to nothing (needs extraction) in 1 month. I didn't bite into anything hard it just happened and went downhill fast. I even had a dental appointment scheduled but it beat me to it. So seriously get in while you still have some tooth to work with. What needs to be done only the dentist will know when they get in there and look at each tooth.

Last edited: