• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dangers of Root Canals

S

shenata1

I was told I May need a root canal based upon how a particular tooth does with this current filling. So, when I got home I did research on root canals really just due to the fear of the pain. Suprisingly, I found that root canals are extremely dangerous because while saving the tooth itself mainly for cosmetic reasons can be very dangerous to the rest of your body. The root still contains harmful bacteria that are then directed into your body system heart, lungs, etc and a very large percentage of people who have had root canals suffer from cancer and other heart disease etc. I personally with remove the tooth if necessary and add a partial if that day comes, but I was just curious if this is something others were aware of.

Unfortunately, what you have read on the Internet is not based on any real science. It's all pseudo-science with no facts to back it up. The Internet can be great for a lot of things, but it is also a free-for-all where anyone can say anything they want and call it a 'fact'. They say they have data to back up their claims, but they don't - at best they are manipulating information based on small data sets and/or poorly conducted research and at worst they are just flat out lying. Lots of people get cancer and lots of people get heart disease. However, there is absolutely no causal link between them.

Removing teeth can cause it's own problems. And, while it can sometimes be the best option and is certainly always someone's choice to make for a tooth that is dead/dying, it is not without its own risks.

I hear you on that, however it has been researched and makes a lot of sense.

And there have been dentist to back it up. It's a dead tooth that is not sanitized. This a an expensive procedure dentist encourage. The bacteria from the tooth can ruin your jaw bone and transfer the bacteria to the bloodstream. This is not from one place it's from many. And there's also statistics backing up the cancer and other diseases. This topic is not brought about by our dentist bit if you speak to a holistic or biological dentist you can gets tons of info.

It's completely bogus and I hope that one of the dentists on here will also respond. I'm not going to argue anymore because there is no way to have a reasonable fact-based conversation with someone who doesn't understand that 'figures never lie, but liars can always figure'.

People who come to this site are often beyond terrified to go to the dentist and posting total internet made-up nonsense like this only makes that worse.

And there have been dentist to back it up. It's a dead tooth that is not sanitized. This a an expensive procedure dentist encourage. The bacteria from the tooth can ruin your jaw bone and transfer the bacteria to the bloodstream. This is not from one place it's from many. And there's also statistics backing up the cancer and other diseases. This topic is not brought about by our dentist bit if you speak to a holistic or biological dentist you can gets tons of info.

The dentist who can "back it up" is a long since discredited quack

you can believe it if you choose to but there is no truth to it whatsoever. you have the right to accept or refuse a root canal but please don't make that decision based on misinformation you found online

I guess I will die as I have had three root canals done in my own mouth over the last 20 some years.

Here is proof of something else that is a big threat to us all:

Thanks Scaredy & Dr. Kimsey! I knew I couldn't be the only one with sense and reason here :)

and another thing while we are on the subject, root canals are not done for "cosmetic reasons" you are misinformed on that as well. a root canaled tooth is not for looks. a root canaled tooth is for chewing with and speaking clearly and preventing bone loss in your jaw, and keeping your other teeth from shifting... the same as any other tooth in your head.

Just stating my opinion. No need for all of that. There is a such thing as a debate. And I say cosmetic because most people just want to keep that tooth opposed to getting a partial or another form of a tooth. And I have absolutely nothing to do with your fear. Lmbo. Keep coming to a forum for help with that. No pun intended. And a lot of people have lots of problems with root canals after the fact. Hey, just read the forum. And to you, you guess you're gonna die? I don't think I'd lose any sleep. Toodles.

It's not an opinion. You are putting these things out as fact, when they are anything but that. They are fear-mongering, pseudo-science lies designed to pray on the already scared and uninformed. And, it's not my fear I'm worried about, thanks in large part to this forum and an amazingly patient and kind dentist, I'm generally no longer fearful. It's others who should happen upon this nonsense who I'm worried about.

Again, it's not an opinion... It's lies.

LOL I came across a site that 97% of terminal cancer patients have root canals. Do some more research though- https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/root-canal-cancer/

That information is bogus. As a science teacher, I teach my students how to read articles and decide if it is true or not. One dentist (or even a few more than that) saying one thing over thousands of other dentists saying the opposite should not make you believe that one dentist. That is NOT how science works. It might sound plausible, but if the data is not there, then you shouldn't assume it is fact.

I have 3 root canals, a few more down the road already planned, and I haven't had cancer. I know I have a high risk of cancer and honestly probably will have it one day because the majority of my family members have died from it (and I know cancers can be genetically passed down). I have ZERO expectations I'm going to die from cancer because of my root canals though.

Also, please realize with better health care, more dentists, and dental care being more affordable to more people, more people are going to get root canals. That can skew the statistics on data (same reason we are seeing more mental health cases or higher rates of autism - better health care, more people get diagnosed) - but this idea that you will get cancer from seems to be completely made up.

I do believe that taking care of your mouth and teeth are extremely important to the rest of your body's health, but I do not think a dead tooth is going to cause harm when it has been probably treated with a root canal. I have noticed my glands in my throat are way less swollen since I've started brushing and flossing every day - I'm sure that means my body can use the energy to take care of other things.

I teach younger students in a Catholic school... great lesson but might be a bit much for my younger/sensitive kiddos. :)

But still... very true.... we have to be careful with how people present data to us.

I teach younger students in a Catholic school... great lesson but might be a bit much for my younger/sensitive kiddos. :)

But still... very true.... we have to be careful with how people present data to us.

Thank God someone still teaches science!

I had a root canal done in 2006 I prefer to save my teeth by whatever means possible, instead of having a tooth out.

I been told not to google about health conditions in the past by my GP as for the last three or four years as I have a big fear about cancer, made myself quite bad at times, with a few scans and nothing serious was found because of abdominal pains

I have also read some of that stuff on the Internet, it's opinion dressed as fact and has no scientific basis, none of the "data" has any peer reviewed content so it remains unvalidated and the theory of one person essentially, the Internet can be a blessing and a curse; as my dentist said to me - self diagnosis is a very foolish exercise. I tend to leave that stuff to the qualified and experienced professionals.

I had a root canal done, which lasted about 12 years and only failed because my dentist at the time didn't crown it and it broke. I have another RCT coming up and I would prefer not to lose the function of the tooth.

Havin reviewed the "research" I no more believe the "findings" than I believe that the earth is flat.

Yesterday I saw a patient who had developed a yeast infection as a result of treatment for his lung condition.
I spent a few minutes on google showing him pictures and discussing treatment and cost of medication at several sites. Properly used the internet is very good

Properly used the internet is very good

I totally agree with this since I've appreciated being able to look up dental treatment plans and videos to better understand why my dentist has chosen a specific treatment for me. :)

Back