• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Dark brown lines between front bottom teeth

I

Ioanna123

Hello I'm 19 and I haven't seen a dentist since I was like 16-17. Lately I noticed some black / dark brown lines behind my front bottom teeth that started showing just a little bit in the front. They are around the teeth and a little bit on the gum line. I am freaking out about it even though I will see a dentist in 4 days. I just need someone to tell me it's not the worst ever. I brush my teeth twice or three times a day and use mouthwash however last year I was a little careless when it comes to my oral hygiene. Also I'd like to add that I smoke cigarettes. Here are some pics:

Attachments

Last edited:
Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Ioanna123,

not a dentist, but my first thought is tartar, which is basically plaque hardened through the minerals in the saliva - front bottom teeth are more prone to that because they literally swim in saliva most of the time. Your dentist will be able to clean it easily. Glad you have an appointment in 4 days already.

All the best wishes

I

Ioanna123

Hi Ioanna123,

not a dentist, but my first thought is tartar, which is basically plaque hardened through the minerals in the saliva - front bottom teeth are more prone to that because they literally swim in saliva most of the time. Your dentist will be able to clean it easily. Glad you have an appointment in 4 days already.

All the best wishes
Thank you, that really makes me less anxious. I'm just a little paranoid honestly 😂

I

Ioanna123

Just wanted to add that I have terrible dental anxiety like looking up a lot of things on Google and obsessively looking at my teeth in the mirror with a flashlight.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ioaana,

I know how it is for every nervous thought ,worry and question come to mind the days before your appt... :frantic: :frantic:

I used to be SO bad with Google and work myself into a frenzy and try to self diagnose. It definately doesn't help the anxiety.. When I confessed this to my old dentist he said. Google can't see your teeth and doesn't know your situation and he can ,so to try not to look to Dr Google for help .. I really appreciated that advice. I do the flashlight thing too sometimes.

Hope your appt goes well and you get some answers..

I

Ioanna123

Ioaana,

I know how it is for every nervous thought ,worry and question come to mind the days before your appt... :frantic: :frantic:

I used to be SO bad with Google and work myself into a frenzy and try to self diagnose. It definately doesn't help the anxiety.. When I confessed this to my old dentist he said. Google can't see your teeth and doesn't know your situation and he can ,so to try not to look to Dr Google for help .. I really appreciated that advice. I do the flashlight thing too sometimes.

Hope your appt goes well and you get some answers..
Thank you it's nice to see people feel the same way sometimes too. Because it can be overwhelming when you have general anxiety.

I

Ioanna123

UPDATE:
Went to the dentist. Turns out these brown marks were just stains from coffee. Nothing more. But they got darker than usual because I smoke cigarettes. No big deal though. She just cleaned my teeth and now most of the brown lines are gone or at least faded. Wasn't even tartar as I thought or even worse decay. Actually she said that I don't need anything else no fillings no crowns (even though I had previously had fillings on some teeth). Everything went great and smooth and I'm really happy that I went.
Here's a photo it's not great but it doesn't really matter they are cleaner now.

Attachments

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey, that's some great news here! So glad all went well and your teeth are healthy! :jump::jump::jump: Thanks for the update and take care!