• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dark edges on filling and sensitivity

G

goofy

For the last few months I've noticed a composite filling on my upper left first molar has a blackish thin line around the edges of the tooth. It is becoming sensitive to sweets as of recently. I suspect the filling may need replacing, but I am very nervous. I have an extreme phobia of dentists, and I have been to three, all of whom were not good dentists, wanted to do unnecessary work, and did things without telling me up front. So I am looking for a new dentist.

Anyways, how big of a deal is this? The filling is roughly 11 years old. I want to get it taken care of but I am extremely worried that they will make it worse. I have attached an x-ray that is about a year old, I didn't seem to have issues around the time of the x-ray, but it is the first molar.

I desperately need to find a new dentist that I trust, and I have been putting it off because I am seriously uncomfortable with most dentists due to childhood trauma with a crooked dentist who did unnecessary work on me and my family.

Thank you for the help. Sorry for sounding like an absolute nut, I just really, really do not trust dentists.

Attachments

• xray.png
    xray.png
    214.2 KB · Views: 7
I had some fillings replaced for the exact same reason you mentioned and it worked wonders for me getting rid of my sensitivity to sweet things. No regrets for me.

It was not a bad ordeal for me at all and shouldn’t be for you.
All I am saying is that modern dentistry is better than ever all around! Please let your dentist know what is going on. He or she can and will be able to help you... painlessly!

Hi Goofy,
I agree with you that it sounds like you need to find a new dentist. The good news is there are lots of good ones out there. There is some really helpful material on this site giving tips on what to look for when searching for a new dentist.

Online reviews are helpful. Look up websites. Contact practices and ask what processes or support they have in place for people who feel nervous about attending. Maybe they have one dentist in particular with a skill for making people feel comfortable?

There are lots of ways you can take control of the process to hugely improve your chances of building a successful relationship.

I hope you find the right dentist for you.

In relation to your tooth, it’s difficult to say simple by looking at the x-ray. The tooth needs to be assessed and a new x-ray taken. It will be helpful to compare the two to check for any change. Sensitivity can arise from a number of different sources and it may be relatively innocent.

For now, if you’re not already I’d suggest using sensitive toothpaste. I’d also suggest avoiding eating/ drinking anything acidic in between meals for a period in case acid erosion may be contributing. Things like fruit, fruits juices, sparkling water, fizzy drinks, alcohol etc. Keep these only to mealtimes for a period to see if it makes a difference. If any of these things help let your friendly new dentist know and it will help with the decision making.

All the best with your researching! Remember this could be a really positive thing if it results in you finding your long term dentist that you can trust.

Let us know how it goes. ?

Niall

Also, brush the area gently rather than scrubbing hard. Abrasion from toothbrushing can also contribute at times.

Probably sensible to avoid brushing immediately after any acid intake also. Can be helpful to rinse around the mouth with water to dilute the acid. Then leave 30mins or so before brushing the potentially-softened tooth surfaces.

Back