• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dealing with the Prospects of Oral Surgery when you've got Agoraphobia and PTSD.

S

SaraK.Rosewood

Dealing with the Prospects of Oral Surgery when you've got Agoraphobia and PTSD.

Hi all. This is my first time posting here.

I'm 36 years old, and am recovering from agoraphobia (I get massive anxiety and panic attacks sometimes from being out of my comfort zone---though I am on new medication which is helping immensely). I also suffer from PTSD.

I wouldn't even consider going to the dentist if it weren't for an infected wisdom tooth. The pain has at times been absolutely some of the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life.

I also have felt pain in my cheek, and I can feel a soft lump that I can move around with my finger that's just below the cheekbone. It's on the same side as the infected wisdom tooth. I wouldn't be surprised if the two are related. I also feel occasionally whoosy, and what's even more alarming is that sometimes my ability to focus feels a little strange (especially if I turn my neck a certain way), though that could be nerve related, and I also have bursitis (inflamed muscles) in my neck and shoulders. :confused:

I have been managing to recover from my agoraphobia and it's easier for me to leave the house these days. I was able to get to a consultation appointment and sat through X-rays just fine....though it is still hard for me to sit in that dentist's chair, let alone consider the prospect of letting him work on my teeth. :scared:

I had an appointment just last week with the plan of having the tooth extracted. Got as far as a the second Novocain shot and had to leave because I had a massive panic attack, and feared that I was going to die. The Novocain numbed the top of my mouth and a bit towards the back of my throat, which I had never felt before and wasn't expecting. The dentist didn't really alleviate my fears very well as he didn't tell me beforehand what he was going to do step-by-step which is what I really need in order to stay calm). In fact he took a metal tool and poked the wisdom tooth RIGHT WHERE IT HURT. I couldn't take it and had to stop him. I went for a walk and sat with my husband in the waiting room for a bit, then went back to try again. That time, the Novocain freaked me out. :dunno:

I don't know HOW I am going to get through this, but I'm scared that if I don't, the infection could spread. I am scared for my life if I don't get this tooth removed and terrified of getting it removed. I feel like I am in a rock and a hard place. It's been making me very anxious and depressed.

Throughout it all my husband has been my rock and support, as are my parents even though they live in another state. I am trying as hard as I can to get through this. :love:

When the pain has been bad, I have taken Tylenol when needed and just finished a second round of Azithromyacin (250 mg, 1 x a day for 5 days, 2x loading dose) which was prescribed to me by the Dentist. (Who, btw, prescribed me 800 mg of Ibuprofen to take 1x a day, even though we both told him I CAN'T take NSAIDs because I have a blood disorder (ITP, which is under control). When I called to make sure they were sending over the prescription to the pharmacy- and to see if I could get something else to replace the Ibuprofen- the receptionist told me that it wasn't an NSAID, and that this was all that they could prescribe me- (which I call BS but whatever). :confused:

I just hope I will feel more comfortable with this new dentist. I am also scared to be put under. I have heard that after the Novocain you don't really feel anything other than pressure (hope this is true). I just want this all to be over with. I am SO tired of the pain and tired of worrying about my health. I don't want my husband, parents and the rest of my family to have to worry about me either.

It's been a very stressful time and any advice or support would be very much appreciated.:clover: :shame::thumbsup::clover:

Re: Dealing with the Prospects of Oral Surgery when you've got Agoraphobia and PTSD.

First find a dentist yur comfortable with dont mess with infection teeth I did... I ended up with a huge cyct that had to be removed with all my upper teeth Iv sedation is best dont be afraid its a concious sedation
so you do respond to dentist just no pain and your relaxed. Please get your tooth fixed infrction can spread and you can have a major issue then Good Luck you will be fine

Hi all. This is my first time posting here.

I'm 36 years old, and am recovering from agoraphobia (I get massive anxiety and panic attacks sometimes from being out of my comfort zone---though I am on new medication which is helping immensely). I also suffer from PTSD.

I wouldn't even consider going to the dentist if it weren't for an infected wisdom tooth. The pain has at times been absolutely some of the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life.

I also have felt pain in my cheek, and I can feel a soft lump that I can move around with my finger that's just below the cheekbone. It's on the same side as the infected wisdom tooth. I wouldn't be surprised if the two are related. I also feel occasionally whoosy, and what's even more alarming is that sometimes my ability to focus feels a little strange (especially if I turn my neck a certain way), though that could be nerve related, and I also have bursitis (inflamed muscles) in my neck and shoulders. :confused:

I have been managing to recover from my agoraphobia and it's easier for me to leave the house these days. I was able to get to a consultation appointment and sat through X-rays just fine....though it is still hard for me to sit in that dentist's chair, let alone consider the prospect of letting him work on my teeth. :scared:

I had an appointment just last week with the plan of having the tooth extracted. Got as far as a the second Novocain shot and had to leave because I had a massive panic attack, and feared that I was going to die. The Novocain numbed the top of my mouth and a bit towards the back of my throat, which I had never felt before and wasn't expecting. The dentist didn't really alleviate my fears very well as he didn't tell me beforehand what he was going to do step-by-step which is what I really need in order to stay calm). In fact he took a metal tool and poked the wisdom tooth RIGHT WHERE IT HURT. I couldn't take it and had to stop him. I went for a walk and sat with my husband in the waiting room for a bit, then went back to try again. That time, the Novocain freaked me out. :dunno:

I don't know HOW I am going to get through this, but I'm scared that if I don't, the infection could spread. I am scared for my life if I don't get this tooth removed and terrified of getting it removed. I feel like I am in a rock and a hard place. It's been making me very anxious and depressed.

Throughout it all my husband has been my rock and support, as are my parents even though they live in another state. I am trying as hard as I can to get through this. :love:

When the pain has been bad, I have taken Tylenol when needed and just finished a second round of Azithromyacin (250 mg, 1 x a day for 5 days, 2x loading dose) which was prescribed to me by the Dentist. (Who, btw, prescribed me 800 mg of Ibuprofen to take 1x a day, even though we both told him I CAN'T take NSAIDs because I have a blood disorder (ITP, which is under control). When I called to make sure they were sending over the prescription to the pharmacy- and to see if I could get something else to replace the Ibuprofen- the receptionist told me that it wasn't an NSAID, and that this was all that they could prescribe me- (which I call BS but whatever). :confused:

I just hope I will feel more comfortable with this new dentist. I am also scared to be put under. I have heard that after the Novocain you don't really feel anything other than pressure (hope this is true). I just want this all to be over with. I am SO tired of the pain and tired of worrying about my health. I don't want my husband, parents and the rest of my family to have to worry about me either.

It's been a very stressful time and any advice or support would be very much appreciated.:clover: :shame::thumbsup::clover:

Re: Dealing with the Prospects of Oral Surgery when you've got Agoraphobia and PTSD.

I too suffer from Agoraphobia and PTSD (medical related) so I completely understand what you're going through! But if it's any comfort to you, I went through the oral surgery today with IV sedation and all and came out okay!

I would HIGHLY recommend IV conscious sedation. I wrote a post about it earlier so I won't get into detail, but it's perfect for people with high anxiety and panic attacks. The trick is getting into the seat though ... it was hard. I honestly thought I was going to bolt at any second and I cried SO much I gave myself post nasal drip which triggered PTSD so then I started panicking i'd die, then I got acid reflux, etc etc LOL. It was a mess BUT I steeled myself and somehow did it because I knew if I didn't, the infection would spread and it'd be so much worse in the end. (I spent way too much time googling what an abscess can do to you ... p.s, google NOTHING. not even about sedation. don't do it lol)

but anyway, long story short ...I did it! I got six teeth surgically extracted under IV sedation and I'm sitting at home right now typing to you, about eight hours after my surgery. I hope this can give you some courage that you are not alone and it definitely is possible. :jump:

Back