• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Death by fear of wisdom tooth extraction

J

Jaurdin

So, as you can tell, I've LITERALLY been "chomping at the bits" over my fear of removing my wisdom teeth. I've known now for 6+ months that they were impacted and needed to be removed. One of them
even severely decayed the molar in front of it due to the overlapping gum. So now I need FIVE teeth removed. One of which is hooked into the nerve that controls that entire side of my face, three that are impacted (two of which are currently infected) and one that is halfway rotted, exposing an excruciatingly painful nerve. You think the pain would be enough to make ANYONE who's not completely insane, get them removed, ASAP! But.... NOT ME. I've already been dropped by an oral surgeon because I rescheduled & cancelled so many appointments that they couldn't have anything else to do with me. I'm currently on antibiotics and taking 10mg hydrocodone EVERY FOUR HOURS & sometimes... Even that isn't kicking out the pain 100%. I'm 22, far too young to put this much stress on my body over something that is so extremely simple to take care of. I'm just terrified of the recovery pain...dying in surgery...actually having a surgical procedure done on my mouth...and last but not least...recovery pain. I have my surgical consult tomorrow in an office I've never before visited. I read 3-4 posts on this sight PER NIGHT in order to keep me on the right track. I just feel like I need tailored advice, here!! Thanks in advance fellow dental-phobes!!

I'm 27 and I just had my wisdom teeth taken out this month during two separate visits. I was so scared that I couldn't find enjoyment in anything for two weeks prior and I almost cried, especially during the second one where I felt pain (hardly any during the first when I had the left side taken out) and the dentist even had to grab hold of my head to get out the upper one. I have no idea if that was traumatizing or hilarious. The dentist was really nice, but the numbing shots and gel didn't do anything for me at all. Check for laughing gas or general anesthesia!

Strangely, though, I felt nothing, no fear no worries no happiness, nothing, once it was all over. No idea why. Maybe the shock or the lack of sleep I had the night before? But please trust me when I say it does NOT last as long as you think (most of the time you'll be waiting for the numbing to take effect), and you have absolutely nothing to fear about recovery pain. It will be far more annoying than anything else, and you'll find yourself taking just two or three painkillers on the first day alone. No more. The pain will be gone after two days tops. You may be sore on occasion and the saltwater rinsing will sting at first, but it's easily ignored. I was fine and hungry for junk food after a few days. Stupid soft food diet.

But just a few warnings about pain. My rear kept getting sore from sleeping while sitting up (but then I kept sliding in my sleep and changing position), and holding down the gauze in your mouth will be painful but after 24 hours minimum that might be a sign you can take them out. As long as you can clearly see white gauze along with light-colored blood (as opposed to deep soaked crimson without hint of white) it's safe to do so. Any longer and you'll be disturbing the clot-forming process. Remember saltwater rinsing and it's normal for bleeding to continue for more than one day, even two or three.

Do NOT take painkiller pills on a empty stomach. It WILL make you nauseous, give you extremely dry lips (chapstick was my best friend....), and then you'll be sick! Stupid me did that and I threw up.

Last edited:
Back