• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deathly Afraid Of Going To The Dentist

T

tknnychsny69

I'm needing to make an appointment to see the dentist, but have a major fear of even going. I had a bad experience years ago, and haven't been back since. I can't handle having my whole face numbed, and I can't stand needles. Now I'm having constant pain in my teeth, but afraid to go see the dentist. How do I get over my fear?

Go before it gets worst, others on here with say the same thing. Usually the teeth can be saved, I was just amazed at the teeth that can be crowned even with not much tooth left. Make a appointment if you don't like the dentist you have options of going to another but be upfront and honest will help them know your scared alot of dentist now are trained for this. The hardest step is going, I didn't want to go but knew I had to for my best interest.

The biggest problem I have with going is the last time I went they numbed my whole face, and then yelled at me and called me stupid because I couldn't feel anything and bit the dentist. Is there a way to only numb the single tooth, and then it wears off sooner. Also I have panic attacks.

Hi, and welcome!

Yes, you'll be pleased to hear that there are ways to just numb up a single tooth now! Hopefully one of the dentists might be able to elaborate on this (paging Comfortdentist), but I think what you need to look for is a dentist who uses the Wand (which is a gadget for delivering anaesthetic that does single tooth anaesthesia)

There are lots of people on here who have fears like yours, and panic attacks - the good news is, with patience and the right dentist it is possible to get past it.

The first step is to look for a good dentist in your area. Forget the one that yelled at you, don't even think about going back to them, there are lots of kind, patient dentists out there who can help you in a supportive and sympathetic fashion. You could try looking for recommendations on here in the 'Find a Dentist' section, and ask around your friends and family to see if anybody knows of a dentist who is good with anxious patients. IME word of mouth is the most reliable way to find a good one.

Once you have found a local dentist you like the sound of, if you wanted you could try calling or emailing them before you go in, to tell them how scared you are and ask how they could help you. It can be quite a good measure of how a dentist/practise will respond.

Then the way to get over your fear is to work with your dentist to gradually get used to it - a good one will be able to work with you in tiny steps, gently trying things until you are able to have the treatment you need. I know it's horrible when you are in them, but if you have panic attacks during the process, that's OK, they can take care of you and support you through them.

Finally, I just wanted to say well done for getting this far and taking the step of posting on here, I know how difficult even that can be when you are facing your biggest fears. We're here to support you!

Back