• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Debilitating Pain After Extraction and Temporary Bridge

N

nobodyreally

I have always had bad teeth, but over the last 3 years I've made great progress in getting my oral health back on track (numerous root canals, crowns, fillings, and cleanings). This included a root canal 2 years ago on a 2nd Bicuspid that was killing me. The root canal eased the pain, but I was unable to get it capped properly at the time due to financial reasons-- I also needed root canals and crowns on front teeth which were more of a priority at the time; $10,000 is a lot of money for a recent grad with student loans.

This year I had the 2nd Molar on my left side extracted without any problem. Unfortunately, the 2nd Bicuspid I had the root canal on a few years back broke off at my gums before I got it capped, so my dentist suggested I have it surgically extracted and then he would put on a bridge to fill in the hole. My first molar had already had a root canal and crown, but the first bicuspid next to the broken tooth was healthy. On the day of my appointment one week ago, I was experiencing no pain whatsoever, and my gums had already healed over where my tooth broke off.

I was nervous before this appointment, and usually dentists do not bother me. Just the idea of a bridge made me nervous, so I did bring it up to my dentist that I may prefer to have an implant after he extracted the tooth root instead of a bridge. He said that I would have about 2 months to decide what I would prefer, but that I would have to let the site heal before I could get either, so either way I would be in a temporary bridge for a while.

First, he prepped the two teeth next to my broken tooth. The assistant tried to make a mold for the temporary several times, but it kept breaking, so she pretty much had to wing it when she made my temporary bridge. The dentist then did the surgical removal of the tooth-- which hurt. He did a bone graft, inserted a collagen plug, and sutured the gums with dissolvable sutures in case I decided to get the implant and he also said it would prevent dry socket. The assistant placed the temporary bridge in my mouth and it fit horrible and hit really high. She had to adjust it multiple times before it felt comfortable. It did not look good, the teeth were uneven, stitches were coming out the side, and only felt "ok" when I left. It was pure misery since I left the office that day. The dentist gave me no pain meds, and no antibiotics.

I had to call in there by Saturday because I was crying from the pain. The type of pain that radiates through the bottom jaw, up into the sinus cavity, and pulses at the temple. Debilitating pain. The doc didn't see me that day but called me in some pain medication and antibiotics and said to come in for a bite adjustment as soon as I could. I tried to schedule an appointment the following Monday, which was yesterday, but he was all booked, so I couldn't get in until this morning. Diagnosis-- Dry Socket. He had the assistant pack the site with eugenol, adjusted the bite, and then sent me on my way.

I'm still in pain though. The temporary bridge looks worse now than it did before. I'm just miserable and tired of hurting. I asked if he could just put temporary crowns on the two side teeth because I felt I could keep an eye on it better without that bacteria trap there. He said that my teeth might move if I did that, and the temporary bridge will help keep the packing in.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next to help with this pain? I'd like another opinion, and tried getting an appt. with an Oral Surgeon in my area but they are all booked for the next two weeks, and now I fear I'm stuck in this ugly and painful bridge for the next two months.

Do I definitely have dry socket or could it be something else? From what I've read it is rare to get dry socket on an upper tooth like this, and that the packing should have eased the pain. Sorry for the long rant, I'm just desperate for answers.

I have always had bad teeth, but over the last 3 years I've made great progress in getting my oral health back on track (numerous root canals, crowns, fillings, and cleanings). This included a root canal 2 years ago on a 2nd Bicuspid that was killing me. The root canal eased the pain, but I was unable to get it capped properly at the time due to financial reasons-- I also needed root canals and crowns on front teeth which were more of a priority at the time; $10,000 is a lot of money for a recent grad with student loans.

This year I had the 2nd Molar on my left side extracted without any problem. Unfortunately, the 2nd Bicuspid I had the root canal on a few years back broke off at my gums before I got it capped, so my dentist suggested I have it surgically extracted and then he would put on a bridge to fill in the hole. My first molar had already had a root canal and crown, but the first bicuspid next to the broken tooth was healthy. On the day of my appointment one week ago, I was experiencing no pain whatsoever, and my gums had already healed over where my tooth broke off.

I was nervous before this appointment, and usually dentists do not bother me. Just the idea of a bridge made me nervous, so I did bring it up to my dentist that I may prefer to have an implant after he extracted the tooth root instead of a bridge. He said that I would have about 2 months to decide what I would prefer, but that I would have to let the site heal before I could get either, so either way I would be in a temporary bridge for a while.

First, he prepped the two teeth next to my broken tooth. The assistant tried to make a mold for the temporary several times, but it kept breaking, so she pretty much had to wing it when she made my temporary bridge. The dentist then did the surgical removal of the tooth-- which hurt. He did a bone graft, inserted a collagen plug, and sutured the gums with dissolvable sutures in case I decided to get the implant and he also said it would prevent dry socket. The assistant placed the temporary bridge in my mouth and it fit horrible and hit really high. She had to adjust it multiple times before it felt comfortable. It did not look good, the teeth were uneven, stitches were coming out the side, and only felt "ok" when I left. It was pure misery since I left the office that day. The dentist gave me no pain meds, and no antibiotics.

I had to call in there by Saturday because I was crying from the pain. The type of pain that radiates through the bottom jaw, up into the sinus cavity, and pulses at the temple. Debilitating pain. The doc didn't see me that day but called me in some pain medication and antibiotics and said to come in for a bite adjustment as soon as I could. I tried to schedule an appointment the following Monday, which was yesterday, but he was all booked, so I couldn't get in until this morning. Diagnosis-- Dry Socket. He had the assistant pack the site with eugenol, adjusted the bite, and then sent me on my way.

I'm still in pain though. The temporary bridge looks worse now than it did before. I'm just miserable and tired of hurting. I asked if he could just put temporary crowns on the two side teeth because I felt I could keep an eye on it better without that bacteria trap there. He said that my teeth might move if I did that, and the temporary bridge will help keep the packing in.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next to help with this pain? I'd like another opinion, and tried getting an appt. with an Oral Surgeon in my area but they are all booked for the next two weeks, and now I fear I'm stuck in this ugly and painful bridge for the next two months.

Do I definitely have dry socket or could it be something else? From what I've read it is rare to get dry socket on an upper tooth like this, and that the packing should have eased the pain. Sorry for the long rant, I'm just desperate for answers.

Hi there, if it was a surgical extraction then the chance of a dry socket is much higher, however placing a collagen plug usually prevents this. It is possibly all the swelling and bruising present because surgical extractions are usually quite traumatic. Best take some anti-inflammatories and see your dentist soon.

Back